Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Good evening from...

Sports Night is one of my all-time favorite shows. I'll be the first one to admit that when this show aired back in 1998, I didn't watch it. There were plenty of reasons why I didn't watch it, but there are no excuses and I apologize. Well, first, I had misunderstood the premise behind the show, which was a tv show about what goes on behind producing a live tv show. I thought it might be some sort of reality tv or whatever. Secondly, this show aired on ABC, the 'family' programming based channel. I was in college, I wanted laugh outloud shows like South Park. Most importantly, in conjunction with running on ABC, it ran on Thursday nights in primetime which was called "Must See TV!" on NBC, going up against powerhouses such as 'Friends' and 'Fraiser.'
Sports Night wasn't in-your-face funny, in fact you'll miss a lot of the jokes in the episode the first couple of times through. I had to have the captions on to get the jokes. There's a lot of intellectual stuff going on throughout the episode; for example, in almost every episode someone corrects someone else's grammar, pronounication, or spelling.
I miss the fact that there are no more new Sports Night episodes and there probably never will be. Joshua Malina was on 'The West Wing' (which by the way was created by Aaron Sorkin, the creator of Sports Night). Peter Krause is being successful in 'Six Feet Under' on HBO. And probably the most famous Sports Night alum is Felicity Huffman, star in 'Deseperate Housewives' also on ABC. Of course the guest star list goes on for a few hours.
Somewhere in each episode is the line, "Good evening from New York City,"

No comments: