Friday, December 01, 2006

first of the month

Well, it's the start of a new month. Work is moving to new office space, I don't know if it is closer to home or not. It's probably about the same distance which is fine by me. What's been pissing me off lately (as if I needed an excuse) is my boss. Before I joined the company I worked as a furniture mover at United Van Lines for a year. I've done household, spec com and commercial moves. I'm not stellar in any of those fields but I have an understanding of what needs to be done and how to do it. So in this move I thought I'd be a logical choice to be on the team. Right? Nope, I didn't even get asked. Instead, I did what I do and forced my way in on the issue. Then my boss tells me, "Oh, you *don't* have to help if you don't want to." ???? What kind of statement is that? Then he tells me that he thought I was better than that. Bahahahahaha. No. Obviously I'm not. I work on my own car, wash my own clothes, iron my uniforms and shine my boots. He might think that he's better than that, but I know he's not. It's not the fact that he has a personal assistant and before that had a maid service, it's the fact he hasn't done a day of manual labor and doesn't understand its value in society. Example: He will bring in something from his home that is maybe ten-fifteen pounds, so he'll come into the office empty handed and then ask me to retreive it for him. I find out too, that his personal assistant put it in his car too. So basically he drove it here. Wow, that's hard! Or how about this feat of redundancy? He has magazines that I have to sort. After coming from the post office, he goes straight into his office and puts all of the magazines into a pile, comes out and puts them on my desk because it's part of my job to organize them. Here's the catch though, all of the magazines are in his office. So I have to go back to where they were just a few seconds ago and follow him back to his office to sort them. I understand that if it's my job to pick up shit, it's my job. That's fine, I can live with that but if you pick up the shit and walk past a trash can just to give it to me to throw away then I think that's stupid.
My boss claims to be a smart man, OK, he graduated college. Yay! Here's the runner-up story of all time. He was telling us a story, near the end said, "...yeah, so he'd buy cigarettes and then turn around and sell them for a profit to others, it was LIKE racketeering." Uhh, no, sorry it is racketeering.
This one takes the cake though. Bill was talking about his recent trip to St. Louis and all of the stuff he had to pick up at home; how full his car was with his stuff and his girlfriend's stuff. Bill says, "Oh, I picked up an oil filter and oil filter wrench for the bike down there too." Now my boss has been in this discussion the entire time so he didn't just walk-in on the conversation. So my boss replies with, "Why didn't you just get it changed down there?" We all just looked at him, dumbfounded. We put the pieces together quickly, but he hadn't yet. Breaking the silence, I think Bill said, "Because the bike was up here." There was a pause and then you could see the light go off in his mind. Oh...


Ah, I feel better. Now I can go work.

No comments: