Friday, February 02, 2007

and the crowd goes wild!!!!

Groundhog Day. Yeah, it's not a link the the Bill Murray movie about repeating the same day over and over and over... and over until he gets it right. Actually, this year the hog predicted that we'll have an early spring. Global warming my *bleep*. Last few years have been weird. Snow in the mid-Texas region, snow in Vegas, and snow in Indiana as late as April. Awesome.
I usually like the snow, but I think it's the fact that I have to pay for a gas bill that has turned me off on the whole cold weather thing. This is the first time in 26 years I've had to pay a gas bill. Let me tell you, it's not pretty. My gas bill skyrocketed, almost 400 percent. It's probably normal, but I've never known. It scares me a little.
So more randomness. This weekend I've got my Army Reserve obligation. And of course there's the Super Bowl this weekend too. Get done with the Army at 5pm on Sunday has posed a problem. Do I stay in Ohio to watch the Super Bowl or do I just trek on home? If I stay in watch, I'll be driving 3.5 hours on the tail end of a 24hr day. Not exactly smart, I've done it before and nothing bad happened but it makes me wonder if I'm not due to flip my car into a ditch (or a church sign). Yeah I've been told I could just record it, but then it's not live TV anymore. I don't care so much for the sport as much as I do the commercials. If I stay in Ohio, most likely I'd spend another night which is fine, but I'd still have a 3.5hr commute to work in the morning. That means getting up a 4am to clean off car, on the road by 5, fight the city traffic at 8, and get to work. Stacy and I don't like traffic. Mostly because gear oil wears thin with too much shifting and it becomes a workout to get her into first gear or second gear.
We'll see come Sunday I guess.
Still haven't decided on a re-enlistment. There are several factors in this equation, even though it's a simple answer. Plus, I have to even consider if the Army wants a soldier like me. Headstrong, knowledgeable, and just a general pain in the ass. When I was on active duty, the re-up counselor didn't even talk to me before I left. I just walked in, said that I was ETS'ing and he signed my paperwork. Didn't even have to sit down. One year left! Yeah! It may be the last year I have to take care of snot nose privates and wipe the boogies out of NCOs. Or maybe I'll re-up.

2 comments:

damned_cat said...

yeah, the state doesn't like headstrong, knowledgeable, PITA teachers either. go fig.

Dan said...

well, to be honest though, you're probably smarter than them. just like i'm smarter than 50% of the people in the army. and i'm forrest gump compared to you. so... that boogles the mind (probably not yours).