Wednesday, April 16, 2008

expanding the idea

I dislike the notion of using obscure references especially when it comes to smell. Yes, I know most things have a distinct smell, whether or not someone can smell it though is a different issue. Still, this was brought on by Kreeesty and her smell comparison.

Now, in my life I have been exposed to many horrible smells and many nice ones. Yet, it is the horrible ones that I remember most vividly. I suppose that the description can just be a figure of speech, but I don't like it because it is imprecise. Looking at its structure, it is more like a simile. Comparing two unlike things. However, it is more likely to be a synesthetic metaphor whatever that is.

So we get to the scientific issue of the matter. To compare the two, we must have a basis of opinion on both. The only way to have an opinion is to have knowledge of it. In the case of smells, that means you have to of smelled both. Example: "Oh! That meatloaf smells like something from Michael's ass." You are currently smelling the meatloaf, that is implied in the sentence. Now, as far as 'something from Michael's ass,' you have to wonder why I am smelling things from Michael's ass.

OK, maybe not. Maybe you just take it at face value. I'm just dark and twisty like that. Just like the fact that I would actually spend the time researching it on the Internet. Trying to unravel the issue.

1 comment:

damned_cat said...

that smell was very specific. so specific that i couldn't believe there wasn't a shred of newspaper or a drop of actual vomit in the bin.

hmph.

ps i actually recoiled at the michael's ass thing. something about once dating a guy named michael. ick and ew, dan!