Tuesday, June 03, 2008

murphy's law of probability

This thought was running through my mind as I was driving home from Best Buy after I got a new stereo in my car. There was a cop fast approaching from behind and I thought, it would be hilarious if I got pulled over again.

Rewind to April 27...
I was driving up to help Bill and Sabrina move out of their place in Noblesville. I was in a rush and took my iPod and my debit card. What's the harm in that? Well, I was about a mile from my place on my way up when a noticed a cop ahead of me. I slowed down to avoid him, so he could get through the stop light and I'd get caught by it. Whew.
As I'm sitting there at the light I notice that there's a cop behind me. What the hell is up with all of the 5-0 crowding my junk? OK, the light's green, time to go. As I'm moving forward what's happening? Oh, he's turned on his siren. Gurrreat.
PO - "Do you know why I pulled you over?"
Me - "No."
PO - "You're missing your exhaust."
Me - "OK."
PO - "License and registration."
Me - "Um..."

Long story short. No license on me, I'm not in the database, and my registration is in Texas. Which apparently is a faux pas since I've lived in Indiana for a few years. I'm sitting in my car as the police officer is trying to find me in the database or writing my ticket, a tow truck pulls up. Also, at this point, there are two additional police vehicles behind me. I feel like this is turning into a felony stop (or everyone else is bored). The police officer walks up to the car and tells me that he's towing the car since he can't find evidence of a driver's license.
Car towed and I'm home again. Bill & Sabrina have graciously let me borrow one of their cars. So I'm driving the Crown Victoria and I've got a court date.

Fast-forward to May 28...
Court. Prove that I had a license. Check. Get Indiana state license. Check. New insurance. Check. Register vehicle. Uncheck. Court says I can have a vehicle. Yay!

Fast-forward to the last few days...
So, how to register vehicle... Oh, go to BMV with title, insurance, and license. Out-of-state registration? We need to see it. OK. Go to impound yard to get it. Impound yard says that they can't release it without police department approval. Fine. Go to police station. Police say to get affidavit to get registration. Go back to impound yard call dispatch and get PO to do an affidavit.
Finally get car registered in Indiana and go back to impound lot. Oh, I forgot to get the police department's approval. Fine. Drive back to police station and get paperwork stamped. Drive back to impound place.
Now it's raining. So I get vehicle back, but the guy tells me that the car got broken into and someone stole my stereo. Oh. What about my tools? No? OK. Get into car and look at tools. Yup, no one stole the whole toolbox. Good. Open toolbox. Oh, someone just stole all of my SAE sockets, which I had a lot of. Great.
Interesting... they stole only specific items (besides the stereo). They didn't take my Oakleys. They left my power converter. They didn't take the power drill. Yeah, I think it was an employee, but apparently the impound place isn't liable for stuff stolen from vehicles, especially for ones that stayed in as long as mine did.

Vehicle impounded for over a month. $1137
Registration and licenses. $112
New tools. $239.11
New car stereo. $352.42
A month's worth of gas in the Crown Vic. $313
Getting pulled over after spending all this money? Priceless. For everything else, there's Mastercard.


I've been flying under the wire and it was bound to catch up with me. I just didn't think it was going to be so expensive. Well, lesson learned. And, now I'm pretty much a resident of Indiana.
There's more to the story but this was the highlights. Yeah. The highlights.

1 comment:

damned_cat said...

you're driving a crown victoria?

oh. oh my.

and so, uh ... i noticed on your little menu of expenses, a new exhaust was nowhere on there.

one last thing: i would have taken your power drill. it's the only tool i know how to use.

this is sounding dirty so i'm going to go now.