Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Dead Like Me

I'm not being all morbid, but instead referring to a great TV show recently cancelled. When I first read about it, I wasn't that interested in the show. But when I watched it on cable, I was hooked. The basic storyline was about a 18-year old girl, named George that recently died and is now a grim reaper. She takes people's souls before they die, trapped between being alive and dead, and since she's still kind of alive she has to pay bills, and all that fun stuff. Of course George is having a tough time dealing with being undead, and her family is having even a tougher time dealing with their loss.
Since the show was on Showtime there was cussing, which I think makes things more 'realistic' and the whole idea that grim reapers are walking among us. That a simple brush with a stranger at the grocery store could 'pop' our souls is interesting. I'd like that special power, the ability to remove someone's soul before they died.
What pisses me off more than the fact that the show was cancelled was what replaced it. Kristie Alley's Fat Actress. What the hell is that all about? It sounded too much the Anna Nicole Smith show, which by the way I saw one episode and actually vomitted.
It was a good show, you should watch it. It is addictive.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

The TV Networks are trying to appeal to the masses, kind of like "The No Child Left Behind" legislation; except it's "No Viewer Left Behind," which in turn means dumb it down, thus fat actress what's her face. Sorry for your loss and for the cancellation of your first comment, Jim. (Yeah, it was me. Something about misspelled words aggravates me.)

Dan said...

Yeah, I can't say I enjoy the notion of "dumbing it down" but that's TV today, where smart shows are canned because 90% of the viewers can't understand it. Don't get me wrong there are some programs that I just watch for the eye-candy, I can just put it on mute and enjoy.
And no problem about the deletion, misspelling of common words is my pet peeve. Not a fan of the 'txtin lang.' I like vowels, makes words easier to understand.