Thursday, July 27, 2006

One more thing about TV

OK, I've rambled a lot about TV. It's not JUST because it's a major part of my life, but because it is a measure of how far we've come as people.
Watch the old Star Trek, with Kirk, Spock, and Bones, and you'll notice that they couldn't even show man-nipple. Also, swearing was way censored, even things like 'damn' was considered naughty. (Sorry, I just wanted to say naughty.)
Here's where I can speak from actual experience, the 80's. Remember the shows like, The A Team, Knight Rider, or Miami Vice? Have you noticed that no one dies in those shows? Or if they did, it was very vague like a wide-angle shot of a lone ship in the harbor blowing up. Also, those hour long shows were 52-54 minutes long. Today, you get to see a corpsified body with a puddle of blood. And these shows are 42 minutes long, at best! Plus there's cussing and partial nudity. I understand the need to make things more 'realistic' but is it better?
I don't even want to start on these so-called "reality" tv shows on.
Back to the ranting.
Actually, that's pretty much it at this point.
There's more where this came from, but it's 2am and I'm going to pretend to sleep or something similar. Probably pop in Sports Night (another canned show which I'm very fond of).

No comments: