Friday, August 25, 2006

$554M down the drain.

According to ABC News, businesses lost an overall $544M this year, in salaries to employees goofing off. In a survey conducted by Salary.com and America Online, employees 'waste' an hour and fifty minutes a day. This includes, surfing the web, running errands, socializing with co-workers, and zoning out. I don't know about those numbers, I'd think there'd be more time wasted but maybe there's a huge business where the employees are like machines, just work, work, work. My guess would be that people understated the time they spent goofing off.
Me, I 'waste' about five hours at work on the internet. I'd admit it too on an anonymous survey. That'd average out with two people that said that they don't 'waste' any time during the work day. That can't be right can it?
I make myself sound like a bad employee don't I? I should clarify that I also come in about 30 minutes early, don't take lunch, leave late, and work from home. I'm salary, I don't get overtime, I don't have to punch-in or out. Just as long as I meet my deadlines I'm good, so what if I surf the web or take a personal call at work? It just so happens that most of my brillant ideas work the same hours I do, 9am-5pm.

Sidenote: I just an email from my boss replying to my update on a project I'm currently working on, telling me to keep up to good work.
http://www.yahoo.com/s/376297

No comments: