Wednesday, August 30, 2006

freaks and geeks

Great Debate
Nerd vs Geek

I consider this one of the new classic debates, joining the ranks of ‘which came first? The chicken or the egg?’ and ‘is there a God?’ There is a sense of pride for some to be known as a geek or a nerd, and some distain when you are a nerd and called a geek, or vice versa.
I am a geek. Sad but true. There’s my DVD collection, currently over 400 titles and growing. I like technology, I have two laptops, two cell phones (one is a Blackberry), a 60GB iPod, 1GB iPod shuffle, a Sony PSP, Gameboy Advance SP, a digital camera, and other devices. Then, in my car I have cell phone kit, a CB radio, radar detector, and a power converter. I also retain an intensive knowledge of Star Trek trivia, I own all 6 Star Wars movies and the cartoon episodes between Episode II and III, I like math and science, and I am socially awkward. Don’t get me wrong, I have social and communications skills but I enjoy the company of myself more. I also have knowledge of recent military history, weapon systems, and military strategy. The only books I read are directly related to whatever subject I am interested in.
Nerds, on the other hand, are more bookworm-ish. Both nerds and geeks are highly intelligent, but geeks tend to focus on the science & technology and nerds are book-smart in most other subjects. It is debated that geeks come from nerds, just that they are science nerds. Neither geeks nor nerds have any real ‘street-smarts’ and thus both tend to be less social.
I like this analogy of nerds and geeks, taken from Wikipedia. While a nerd and a geek would both have the intelligence to do well on an exam, a nerd would spend the night before studying no matter the distraction, while a geek might be more likely to be tempted to spend the evening playing video games or chatting online.
Many times I have spent time online or playing a video game instead of studying. Yes, I did well, but not as well as I could have had I just sat down and studied (this was pointed out by my professors on many occasions).
I adamantly defend my geekness, I am not a nerd. Do not confuse me for one.

No comments: