Wednesday, August 02, 2006

near hit proves stereotype

If you don't know, Carmel, Indiana loves their roundabouts. I love'em too, cuz I like to push the edge in my trusty CRX "Stacy." Now recently I got Stacy some new tires, courtesy of my friend who works at a Discount Tires. I should mention the fact that Stacy is a man's car, yes I'm being sexist. She's a 5-speed manual, no power steering, or power windows. When the car starts to heat up, the gears won't shift properly, there is a sunroof but the tracks are broken so you can't fully open it, and to top it all off, the little retractable antenna has to be manually operated. Yet, I love her to death (probably cuz I'll die a fiery death inside of her).
Since I've gotten new tires, I've been more willing to pull some G's on turns. Like my apartment complex offers a half-G turn which I exploit every time I come home from work. OK, back to my story. This city is full of roundabouts, all different configurations too. Some are two lanes, some are single lanes, some with only three roads connected, so on and so forth. This particular one was a two-lane roundabout, which I thought "Wouldn't it be sweet if I could drift it!?!" So I hit the roundabout at approximately 30MPH, made the turn, hit the gas, over-corrected for the return, hit the other side of the roundabout... and then here's where I lost it. Since Stacy doesn't have power steering, manuevering is made more difficult. When I over-corrected to drift to the other side, I didn't think much beyond that so to prevent an accident I let go of the steering wheel completely to straighten out. Of course that's too much when you're drifting so I had quickly grab the wheel and try to correct myself again. Of course I was still on the gas, which is a bad thing when you're about to go out-of-control! I barely miss the curb (which would've hurt Stacy) and now I'm drifting the other way. Granted it's a two lane roundabout and I'm in a CRX but still not very safe going sideways down a road.
Luckily, Stacy loves me and she helped me out. No accidents, but my friend was behind me watching it. Our journey ended at my other friend's house and we washed our cars. Stacy looks better now, it's going to take me a few $$$ to get Stacy back to supermodel form.
Although I don't know if I want her to be a supermodel, cuz she'd probably just dump me too.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i once drove a stacy ... manual, no power steering, CRX. it was either mousse's (#8) or myrk's. well, you men can keep your stacys because power-less steering is seriously for the birds.

Dan said...

You know, I never understood what that meant, "for the birds." What exactly does the birds have to do with this specific topic anyway.
And chicks that can drive a manual just are hot.

Anonymous said...

i guess i'll have to keep striving for hotness, because there is a reason i only drove that thing once.

Dan said...

once? c'mon, everyone's first time is difficult, heck my was funny. but my friend andy took me out in my car (yes, i bought a car i couldn't drive) and taught me how to drive. that was five years ago. i didn't learn very well (as evidence of this blog shows) but at least i can drive. tell ya what, if you visit you can drive stacy.