Monday, August 28, 2006

rubber ducky, this is mack granddaddy

The Over-50 Crowd Takes To The Road in Paid Big-Rig Gigs
Crap. Old people behind the wheel of an 18-wheeler. Watch for continuous left-turn signal lights for the next 50 miles.
Yes there's a shortage of long-haul drivers, people just don't want to be away from home three weeks out of the month, I understand that but are old people the solution? Yes, old people drive RVs but that doesn't take a special license. You need a Class A license to run a tractor/trailer and bad-ass skills to negotiate metropolis traffic.
My buddy Darius drives a tractor/trailer, long-haul for a United agent. He loves the open road and the opportunities it provides. Sure he's away from the house 25-28 days in a month, but being a driver gives him the chance to visit family and friends scattered across the country. It may only be for a day or a meal, but he's getting paid to be there. Plus, his truck is pimped out (not like the show) he has internet, XM radio, a fridge, TV, stove, and a sink. He also takes his motorcycle with him so that if he's stopped somewhere, he can run to the store or see the sights relatively cheaply.
I'm just scared now that I know there are more and more old people truck drivers on the road. I drive a tiny car that is in a driver's blindspot for about 90% of the time when I pass them. And trust me, they wouldn't notice if they accidently ran over me, well maybe a little damage to the undercarriage but that's it.
Maybe it's time to look into taking public transportation...

No comments: