Monday, September 25, 2006

1180

I finally sat down at finished season two of Grey’s Anatomy. Seriously. Shonda uses that phrase a lot over the course of the series. I, of course, don’t care. It was 1180 minutes worth of entertainment all crushed into a weekend. It sounds like a lot doesn’t it? It’s just over 19 hours, including special features which isn’t that much. Hour-long episodes have about 18 minutes worth of commercials infused so the actual show content is only about 42 minutes. Of those 42 minutes there’s the introduction credit scene, the recap, and closing credits. So in reality there is about 39 minutes worth of “show” which is kind of disappointing when I type it out. Still, with 19 hours of my weekend dedicated to Grey’s Anatomy I got a few things done.
One of my accomplishments was putting together another small bookshelf for the rest of my books. Most of these books were from my college era. So psychology, mostly philosophy though. And I realized something. Being a philosophy major I had the wrong impression. All of the other subjects in college are designed to make you into whatever it is you’re studying. Example: Physics, you study to become a physicist. Journalism, to become a journalist. Yet in Philosophy all you learn about is other people’s writing, you don’t actually philosophize. You just read it and write a report about what you read. I guess I can understand it. Like in Religious Studies, you don’t become religious from the courses but you become a student of religion. It is just deceiving and I guess I didn’t like that. I had philosophical ideas that never saw the light of day because of the structure of the class.
On the agenda for this week(end) is organizing my DVD collection. That means sitting down and inputting them into Microsoft Excel, alphabetizing, include release year, studio, and other useless information. It is a lot of work for something so little but I think it is worth it. Plus, it gives me something to do that doesn’t cost me any money. Maybe I’ll buy another DVD; I just have to figure out which one I can afford and if I want to own it.

2 comments:

damned_cat said...

1180, huh. you know what's funny, switching from 1-hour shows (approx 45 min) to half-hour shows (approx ?) hasn't made much of a difference in my boxed-set season watching. i stay shamelessly glued for way too many hours at a time. eh.

Dan said...

see... i don't know how you stay shamelessly glued to the tv and read a book as busy as you seem to be. is it cool to worship you or would that be breaking the first commandment?