Tuesday, September 26, 2006

lazy america part 1

For the longest time I wondered why so many Americans are obese, then I stepped into the bathroom. Automatic flushers. That's not the cause, but it is one of the symptoms. There are elevators, escalators, sensors in the sink, automatic doors, and so many other small devices designed to save us time.
Elevators I understand as a furniture mover, there are just some pieces that are too heavy for anything else. Escalators though? Gimme a break, a flight of moving stairs to take a person up one flight? And don't even get me started on those walking escalators! Grr.
Chairs have wheels now and the swivel around, so you don't have to push away from your desk, get up, turn and grab. I'll admit though, in my home office my chair does that and has a built-in massager (but it shuts off automatically every 15 minutes!).
BLUETOOTH! As if having a cellphone didn't make you lazy enough! The Swedes invented an accessory that frees up both of the users hand! Oh, and there's no inconvenience of a wire. Thanks! I use a hands-free device, in my car! Where I needed both hands, because if I don't I'll probably die and take a bus-full of children along with me. Otherwise I use my hand to hold up my cellphone to my head or, gasp, my shoulder. And what is the deal with the wire? Look, it's an inherent price you pay. I like to stare into the Sun. Punishment: burnt out corneas. That's not supposed to change.
As Americans are we getting so lazy that we can't even flush our own toilets? Now a sensor has been attached to them to detect when we move to flush them for us. Wow, cool. No. LAZY! No one is that busy you can't flush a toilet. If you are, then you need to slow down. Enjoy the little things in life like flushing your own toilet or maybe smell a rose. Just don't try to smell the toilet.
Another symptom of laziness is having food delivered. Are you seriously that lazy that you can't even go out to your car and drive to whatever food place you're having it delivered from? Before the delivery was the drive-thru. That's not as lazy as having it delivered but still, there isn't enough time for you to park and walk inside? You can get it to-go! Once, to prove this point my friend B. and I went during the lunch hour to a popular fast-food restaurant. The drive-thru line was enormous. B. went for the drive-thru whereas I parked my car and ordered from the counter. I got into my car about the same time he pulled around to brag about it. He'd gotten his food less than a minute before me, but inside I had to wait for the drive-thru orders to be filled and I got to pick up as many napkins and condiments I wanted or needed.
Now I'm not going to lie, I'm lazy. I get food delivered even though it would actually be quicker for me to drive there, place an order, and drive back than to have the same order delivered. Cheaper too, but I don't mind. I'm trying to better myself, ordering out less and that sort. I'm also seriously considering starting to job in the morning or evening, haven't decided on a good time yet.
There's more to come. Stay tuned as I walk through my life and point out all the things I hate about it. Yes, I'm a self-hater.

No comments: