Monday, September 11, 2006

the city of angels

LA. Breath in that sweet smoggy air! Yum.
Took the morning flight from Indy to LA, very cool. Got in at about 9am local. Immediately went to the apartment and slept. I got to drive the Magnum around downtown LA for awhile to pick up the necessary household supplies, food, detergent, soap, toothpaste, and the like. They we went to El Paseo Inn in the Mexican district for dinner. Good food, I rated my meal at about 3.5 stars. Supposedly it got rave reviews, but when we showed up there were no patrons.
For me September 11th is just another day. Five years ago 4ID DMain was in the field in Brownwood, Texas and we came back in on the 10th for a day. Woke up and ate chow at the 1st Brigade Dining Facility. Watched the news coverage of first plane crashing into the tower, then I had to go to work. Within fifteen minutes of getting to work, the whole post shutdown. We went to FORCPROCON Delta (Force Protection Condition). They postponed our return to the field for a day, but then were back training in Brownwood. The only difference was that we were still in military vehicles traveling south towards the ports and everyone was honking and waving. I guess they thought we were deploying, because it certainly looked that way.
Two years ago we were deployed in Iraq and we didn't even know what day it was really. Division put out that we were on a "heightened" alert, we increased patrols and kept our forces at 50 percent readiness. It was nothing new, it just meant that we were out longer and we didn't get to sleep when we got back to base.
And today, I was flying to LA. I'm not belittling the events of 9/11 but life goes on for most.

1 comment:

damned_cat said...

i love the smell of smog, because when i'm in LA, i'm on va-ca. i usually keep this to myself, because it makes me sound like a big un-green jerk.