Monday, September 04, 2006

drive, drive, drive

What a weekend. It all starts Friday, I cut out of work early (about 4pm) at my boss' advice. Went to a friend's house to drink, don't remember much after that... although I did make the decision to go up to my dad's place some time that night. Woke up kinda late on Saturday morning, went back to my place to grab some clothes, shower, and the like. Made the five hour trek in six hours, I took a scenic route that didn't require the tollpike. Found a place called Hicksville, OH. I thought it was sorta redneck-ish and funny, that kept me amuse for almost ten minutes.
Got to my dad's, had some leftover pizza and then went shopping. He got me two shirts and two ties, which I thought were expensive but he thought were midly priced at $21.99 (shirts) and $10.99 (ties). We filled up gas at Costco at $2.24 for 89 octane which is damn cheap. Got home and went through some of his stuff, picked out some things I need that he doesn't use. I went with the full-size air mattress (yes! no sleeping on the couch for me!) and then I scrounged around for some of my old stuff. Before they moved, my parents pretty much threw away everything of mine. I have maybe half of my Lego collection, none of my books, no video games, and only a select few writing samples of mine for the early years.
Sunday morning, dad made some omlettes and I was on my way to Cincinnati to pick up the rest of my stuff from my old apartment and grab my mail. Now, under normal circumstances I would make the voyage from Cleveland to Cincinnati in just over three hours, this trip took me almost four! The cops were out in force, speed traps and basic trickery was afoot for the Labor Day weekend. So I did 75mph all the way. It was good too, Stacy got 39 mpg on that leg.
It only took me 20 minutes to load up my stuff in Cincinnati. My buddy called me just before I got to my place saying that he needed me to help him drive a second car to the airport. To which I replied, that I didn't think that I'd be able to make it, I was looking at about three hours before I got home.
Well, I got onto I-74 from Cincinnati to Indianapolis and found myself behind a '96 Honda Accord doing 100+ and whoosh, I was gone! I gotta give props to my girl Stacy, fully loaded and doing 105mph on the freeway she still got 36 mpg.
Got to Indy in time to help my friend, we picked up his family at the airport and went home. I unloaded my car, went back over to my friend's house and proceeded to drink (again).
So now it's Monday and I'm checking the fruits of my labor. First things first, air mattress. Plugged that bad boy in and fired it up. Clunk, clunk, clunk. Opened it up and the plastic fan blades are damaged. DAMNIT! So I'm going to try something more productive and sort out my Lego. There's miscellaneous toys and Construx in with my Legos. I think I spent a good two hours doing that today, but they're now sorted.
Grabbed the rice cooker I got from my dad's. At first I looked around and couldn't find the power cord, I searched the bag, the other stuff I brought in and still couldn't find it. I was seriously thinking about calling my dad and bitching him out for giving me all of his broken stuff. Then I lifted up the cover and inside was the detachable power cord. Had me some rice and spam.
All Monday though, I watched the Dark Angel marathon on the SciFi channel. Yes, I already own the entire series on dvd but that's not the point. I don't know what the point is but there's one to be made.

No comments: