Tuesday, September 05, 2006

manic monday

I don't think I can blame this on my day job. This falls squarely in the pet peeve category. Spelling. Now to be fair I can't spell to save my life, my grammar sucks. It doesn't sux, it sucks. I like commas too, probably too much for my own good. I'm working on it a little in my spare time.
I understand in text messages that using shorthand is almost necessary. Not everyone has a full keyboard on their phones. I only have half a keyboard on mine. Going back even further, pager text messages. 911 meant urgent and 143 means I Love You (got that from a song). None of this applies to instant messaging (unless done from a phone), posting on a bulletin board, or blogging.
I realize that there are a lot of words that we use in everyday life that we can't spell correctly right off the bat like miscellaneous or circumference. That's what spell check is for, use it! Things like skool, recieve, dats, da, or b4 I can't stand. Proofreading folks! Learn it, use it, love it. Don't be stupid, stay in school. Or rather skool. They teach mnemonic devices still right? 'I' before 'E' except after 'C' and all that right?
I dislike the fact that there are people my age that can't spell to save their trailer. That's 25 years doing something, every single day and they still suck at it. Grr. Precluding any ailments or physical handicaps, that's like not being able to walk. Funny as it may look, they're just taking up valuable space and resources. Imagine fully grown adults walking around like they were toddlers, just walking around and falling for no reason, or walking into tables and buildings. Funny? Yes. Waste? Yes.
Either learn how to spell or just don't use those words that you can't or just open a word document, let the computer help you. Derrrrr. Ding, fries are done.

2 comments:

damned_cat said...

this is slightly off-topic but the text/IM thing i hate most is "meeh." why go out of your way to make the word "me" two characters LONGER? damn keedz.

Dan said...

it's hip. like substituting japanese words for english. it's like that in japan, english is very hip there.
and don't blame the kids... blame the teachers! err, blame the OTHER teachers.