Wednesday, September 06, 2006

the day before tomorrow

Awkward idle conversations with strangers always involves the weather. Inevitably the phrase "Yeah that's (insert state), just wait 10 minutes. It'll change." comes up. That's true for every place except the polar regions. It's the weather! That's what it does! It changes!
In the last two weeks, the weather report for Carmel, Indiana has been wrong 80% of the time. "Partly Cloudy" Well, that's vague. Yeah, there's some clouds in the sky. A six year-old could tell me that. "Chance of rain." Duh, there's always a chance. It's not Antarctica. There's also a chance of a meteor strike but the weather-person doesn't seem to mention that. So far, whenever the weather called for scattered thunderstorms, there was a light drizzle. Yeah, really scattered. What the hell? I'm trying to plan my day around the weather. Can't wash my car in a thunderstorm now can I?
I think meteorology is the only profession where you can be wrong most of the time and not get fired. Well, that and fortune-telling. It's the same thing though, just one is on the local news and the other is in some tent at the carnival. Time after time they're wrong and we still put so much faith in the weatherman/woman. "Oh, it's a hard job." No it's not! They've already come up lots of vague descriptions to use, just reach into the hat and pull out one. "What? Chance of snow in Saudi Arabia? Yeah, I guess that could happen with global warming and the greenhouse effect." They make it more accurate by attaching a percentage to that chance. "20% chance of rain." What exactly does that mean?
And one more thing, I don't care what the weather was like 100 years ago! Put the Farmer's Almanac down! The weather 100 years ago doesn't affect the weather today or tomorrow. Yes, it is interesting that the temperature 100 years ago today was 78 and tomorrow it's going to be 80. Wow! Not newsworthy. That's just like telling me that on the set of Star Trek: The Next Generation, most of the pipes you see in the background are labeled GNDN; goes nowhere, does nothing. Interesting but not newsworthy!
Tomorrow I predict that somewhere it will rain, somewhere else it might snow, and it will be partly cloudy. I could be right... unless it's the end of the world, I didn't predict that.

No comments: