Thursday, September 07, 2006

what's that?

This morning I thought I actually ran out of things to rant about. Thank-you real life! Driving into work I was actually sitting at a stop light looking around. Most of the construction projects are finishing up in the area, can't complain there. Then I started looking at the other drivers with me at the stop light. The woman to my left was on her cell phone jabbering away. The guy to my right was on his cell phone too, though I doubt he was talking to the woman on my left. It also looked like the guy behind me was on his phone too. Damn, it must be a long light sequence. Oh, look, people passing perpendicular to me. One, two, three, four, five. All on their cell phones. I felt sorta left out because I wasn't on one of mine.
My friend M. won't even consider buying a car with a manual transmission because of the fact that he's on the phone at least half of the time he's in the car. He doesn't even know how to drive a manual.
I hate trying to drive and talk on the phone at the same time. Especially in cities because it already takes two hands to drive, the addition of the cell phone throws a wrench in the whole process. Yes, I do have a hands-free set but I only use it on my longer trips.
My gripe isn't with the cell phone, but what it makes people not do. Like pay attention to traffic, or lights, and accidental lane changes. That cell phone is a distraction. I've been the fifth car to turn and not made the turn because the first guy in line is on the phone. It's a 30-second light, that's enough time for ten cars or more. Instead it's only enough time for four cars. Now I've spent three minutes at a light because some jackass is talking instead of making out the difference between red and green.
Yes, your life is moving at Mach One. Just don't get in my way because I'm moving at Mach Two. One of these days I'm just going to buy an old, beat-up truck and drive around with the sole purpose of pushing these idiots into oncoming traffic. <-- Yes, it's pre-meditated.

2 comments:

damned_cat said...

two hands to drive? you square.

hehehe.

Dan said...

*nod* MANUAL. one hand on steering wheel. the other to shift. i'm not coordinated enough to drive/clutch/steer with just my knees. plus, my alignment is way off. i've got my excuses.