Wednesday, October 04, 2006

i miss the old days...

When street gangs like the Sharks roamed the neighborhood and fights were choreographed to music. Oh, wait, that's West Side Story. Yeah, I still miss the old days though. Not as many kids were bringing automatic weapons to school.
Although in my rebellious days, I did bring an old rusty pocket knife to school once. I can't remember why, but I do remember getting into trouble. A teacher caught me, or one of the students ratted on me. It's all kind of fuzzy. My parents did put the fear of God in me, that I remember.
So let's see. A gunman takes an Amish schoolhouse hostage, killing five girls execution-style before killing himself. What the hell did he have against the Amish? Funniest thing was that a teacher managed to call 9-1-1. I thought the Amish shunned fancy things like electricity, how far did this teacher have to go to use a phone? This guy had recollections of molesting two younger family members 20 years ago and wanted to relive it, so the obvious choice would be an Amish schoolhouse. Yeah. Real man of genius.
I love local news. Love to make fun of it. There's nothing to pick up my mood like local news. A deputy in Danville is serving a one-day suspension without pay for allowing a woman in his custody to shoot herself in the abdomen with his shotgun. Good for her! Fight the Man! Of course that probably wasn't the best way to do that, unless her goal was to get an all-expense trip to the hospital with surgery and possible bowel resection. Some people will do anything just not to go to jail nowadays.
A courthouse in Kokomo got metal detectors in response to an attack 20 years ago in which a man smuggled four pipe bombs in a briefcase into the courthouse. End result? Killed himself and injured 15. Seriously, I'm not scared of the violence in Indiana. I'm worried about the jail system here, so much violence just to avoid jail.
In Lafayette the city council has decided to spend an additional $300K to avoid the ashes of James Evan's father. The ashes are located under a tree and there might be some wetlands on the property, which added in the decision to spend more money. Sorry, all that to avoid some ashes. Plus, in the article says "...a sycamore tree under which a dead man's ashes are buried." Hmm, do we really need to be told that it's a dead man's ashes? If they said a man's ashes, would we assume that the guy was still alive? Like we spread my dead mom's ashes in the Pacific Ocean last year, as opposed to my living mom's ashes. To clarify, I'm adopted and know who my biological mother is, and she's still alive.
OK, that's enough ripping on Indiana news for now. I feel a lot better now, despite the fact that it is only Wednesday.

No comments: