Thursday, November 09, 2006

bounce, bounce, bounce

"Pick up the damn ball!"

Ah yes, tennis coverage. A sport developed by a woman no doubt. Two parties just hiting a ball back and forth. Sort of like arguing. Wait, I take it back. If it was developed by a woman then it would just be one person with a racket hitting balls at their defenseless opponent. Sorry for the confusion.

So it's WTA Championship time. This year the WTA organizers went all out and hired male models as ball boys. Huh. They said that it was in response to criticism about using female models at the men's finals. Look, I don't have a problem with them throwing some eye candy of the opposite sex on the court. Great, now I have something to look at when I watch Andy Roddick on the court not that I watch men's tennis. Which is why I watch women's tennis. What? I'm not ashamed of it, I'm not watching it as an athletic competition as much as it is two women running around, sweating and grunting.

I just hope that the male models do as well as the female models did. Let's face it, neither group has a lot of brain cells. Now it doesn't take much to be a ball boy/girl but men are easily distracted and female tennis players do look a lot better than their male counterparts. So one would wonder if the lack of brain activity would hamper a male model's ability to pick up on the fact that there's a ball rolling around on the court and that he should scamper out and get it.

If anything it should be interesting to watch a chick beat the crap out of one of the male models with a tennis racket in a McEnroe-esque fit.

No comments: