Wednesday, November 08, 2006

another good idea, bad idea

I'm a big fan of the movies. Big fan of TV shows too. That much is obvious. In a pinch, the good guy manages to pick the lock of his jail cell and saves the day. All he's got is a couple of toothpicks and maybe a paperclip. I always wanted that skill, something to put on the resume. Well, I tried it and it didn't work. The paperclip was too weak to attack the tumblers. Toothpick? Also not up to the challenge. Not to be detered, I spent $40 on a cheap lock picking set to test my skills.
After reading up extensively on the subject I decided to try it out when my lock picking set arrived today. Unfortunately I couldn't spring the cash for the practice lock too, so I used the next best thing my own lock to my apartment.
It took my a couple of tries but I managed to pick my lock! YEAH!!!!! First day! Takes practice, yeah right! This was a great idea right?
Wrong. I accidentally got too excited working the deadbolt lock and didn't reset it like you would a normal key. Result, damaged the whole mechanism. No more bolt lock on my door. It's there and it works from the inside but the key doesn't work in it anymore. Luckily, I still have the puny lock that goes with the door handle thingie (Yeah, that's the technical term).
So, let's review. Honing a cool skill like lock picking? Good idea. Breaking your own lock. Bad idea. Lesson over.

No comments: