Tuesday, December 19, 2006

till i hear it from you

So it's that time of the year. For me it's not about presents, fires in the chimneys, snow on the ground, and decorations in the yard. Stupid insomnia. I guess that's why I started this recent project on my car. Sunday I pulled out my center console and began sanding it down in preparation to repaint it. With the help of some good friends I'm also rebuilding some of my slots in my console. Suffice to say there's fiberglass and hidden wiring. It's going to be, wait for it... LEGENDARY. (reference How I Met Your Mother)
There's a lot of work to be done on it, I finished one of three pieces and it looks pretty good. I hit it with about five coats of paint, sanding it down with 2000 grit sandpaper between each coat (except the last one); there's still some marks from the 100 grit sandpaper used but it's not that bad.

OK, I'm sure no one wants to know how badly my ankle is twisted when there's news in the world like this. 6 foreign medical workers have been sentenced to death in Libya on the charge of deliberately infecting 400 children with AIDS. In a country that is overrunning with AIDS the population has decided that the children got it from doctors and nurses. Which is something you usually see on HBO, but not so much in real life. What exactly would be their motive? There's two conflicting motives (for even being there!) one is that they were trying to find a cure and the other is that they were acting on behalf of foreign intelligence agencies. And evidence introduced late in the trial indicated that the children may have contracted the virus up to three years before the arrival of the workers. Huh, but I guess that kind of "evidence" is just voodoo magic in the high-tech country of Libya. Instead what's plausible is that the CIA was using the Libya as a testing ground for a genetically-engineered virus. Because with Libya's arsenal of technology and knowledge they're able to prove that a foreign intelligence agency is behind all this. Well then, shouldn't they be on trial then instead of these six people? Or perhaps the countries? Nope, these six people are it!
So what would the CIA or any other foreign intelligence agency need with a genetically-engineered HIV bug that targets children? Ah, the great conspiracy. Wipeout an entire country by killing all of their children. That makes sense, because a bunch of dead kids isn't at all suspicious. If that was the route they were going, wouldn't sterility be the better bet?
Still, I'm hopeful for these people. After all, it's not the first time they've been convicted of murder. It's going to the Libyan Supreme Court and there's pressuring coming from the EU and the US. I have confidence that the LSC will overturn the verdict, bowing to international pressure, and release the workers. However, there'll be a big deal for about a month, the workers will be banned from Libya (as if that was the worse thing in the world) and all this fuss will be made, and eventually it'll fade into the background.

No comments: