Tuesday, January 09, 2007

can't explain this away

OK, well, there's no easy way to say this so I'll just come out and say it. I'm fat. I'll let that sink in for a moment.

Last night instead of watching the 41-14 defeat of Ohio State vs. Florida, I decided to watch "To Be Fat Like Me." I stumbled upon this little jewel while flipping through my digital TV guide and saw the name Kaley Cuoco listed. *shrug* Again, not a big stretch for me to adjust my TV viewing according to the pretty chicks in them. I was a bit apprehensive about the fact that I'd be watching the Lifetime Channel, but it was a good TV movie so I got over it.
Basically, Cuoco plays a high school jock but because of a mid-season injury her perspective on her life changes. Call it an identity crisis. Teaming up with another girl, they set out to create a documentary film about high school life to win a $10,000 prize. Their angle? Fat. What it's like being the fat kid. Aly (Cuoco) thinks that personality and charm can win over weight when it comes to friends, but she learns lessons she thought she already knew. Plus she knocked out Chemistry in summer school, so there's more learning going on.
With the help of her neighbor, Aly is transformed from jock hottie to dork fattie. She goes through summer school trying to fit in different niches but her only friends end up being the other fat girl and her attached guy friend.
Aly gets her story but loses herself in the process. Her perception changes, the people she thought were her friends weren't, she loses the friends that she made in summer school, and her attitude changes about her family. Her mother and brother both have weight issues (well, their just husky) while Aly is there counting carbs and avoiding anything that could be harmful to her weight. She realizes that she has her own weight problem too and her mom's condition was the source of that.
Once you get past all of the obvious and convenient plot points, and the sub-par acting, it's not a bad movie. Me, I don't care about the stuff I listed because in this instance it's not about the delivery but the content of the movie. Now if this was a romantic-comedy, then it did a really, really, really, really bad job but it wasn't.
Luckily, I was skinny in high school. I was the guy making funny of the fattie. Oh the irony to be the fattie watching this film 10 years later and connecting with it. Eh, it really hasn't changed my perspective on the issue. Me, I'm easily influenced by commercials and ads. Especially about food. I'm fat, I'll admit it. But I don't use that as an excuse to eat more. You don't think I'm tempted to go out to Taco Bell to "eat late" and all that? I guess that I'm more lazy than hungry, so I talk myself out of it. Which is why I hate deliveries. Food with the convenience of never having to leave home. Ugh.
Also, for my weight-in this past weekend, I lost 3lbs for the month. Yeah! So how did I celebrate? Eating at Wendy's (twice) and then going to the Pizza Hut lunch buffet. Ha. I'll show me for losing something. Er, losing weight but that's a good thing right? Hahaha. Yeah, I got to start showing some more self-control. You'd think that'd be a resolution or something.

2 comments:

damned_cat said...

i was about 10-15 pounds heavier in high school than i am now, but i was physically healthier then. go figure.

Dan said...

hehe. i was 50lbs lighter in high school than i am now, and i was physically healther then too. although i was all studly in 2000-2002 until my injury.