Monday, January 08, 2007

kyrie

So when I read this article, I laughed a little. Basically, the Army is trying to bolster it's ranks again by pulling from the pool of retired officers. An admirable cause, instead of trying to train new people, get the old people that are already trained. Good idea. Bad idea. Sending letters to officers already wounded and killed in action. Then I got to thinking about those families. Husbands, wives, sons and daughters that get a letter from the Department of the Army, open it up and find out that the Army wants your loved one again even though they're dead. Yeah. That probably went over well. So they sent out casaulty assistance teams again, made a public apology, and plan to send out 'personalized' letters to the families affected.

OK. Natural disasters suck. Not much you can do about them, just hope you survive. What erks me is the media that try to cover their own asses on the small things. Reading this article, the one that kept jumping out at me was the word 'suspected' used in the headline and in the article itself. Now I've used the word suspected in intelligence reports in order to keep out bias. But how can you suspect something to be a tornado??? What else could've it been? Seriously? "It knocked down trees and homes, but we think it might be Al-Qaida. Homeland Security is looking into this matter." Umm, no. It was a tornado.

My cool piece of news. So if any of you that know me, you probably know that I haven't seen the inside of a library since... yeah. I've heard stories about them, they sound really, really quiet and boring! Man returns overdue book... 47 years late. The article even mentions that there was no record of the book, so he was off, scotfree. Something like a statue of limitation on books. But what I really like is the last line from Sue Zubiena, the librarian. "It's never too late to return your books."

No comments: