Tuesday, January 30, 2007

more at 11

I hate local news. What's more, I hate the promos for local news. The Kentucky Fried Movie spoofed the local news at 11. Still, in real life, I just hate the way that they try to build suspense. They're not running a thriller movie are they? It's news, a public service (as hard as it is to imagine). "Is the drinking water safe? Find out at 11." Oh, that's great. That's five hours from now, what am I supposed to do in the meantime? Then they report that it's safe, but just a little on the high side. All that build up for that?
A couple of nights ago (before it started to snow) the news commercial came on. "Will it be an icy drive into work? Find out at 11." Well great, but if it's an icy drive in I might want to leave earlier. Staying up to 11 is not acceptable if I got to wake up at 4am to scrap ice off my car. Tell me now. Is it? No. OK, that ate up another 2 seconds of air time. In fact, if they'd just substitute the answer for "find out tonight on Fox 32, your blah blah blah" that'd solve a lot of problems. And I bet more people would watch commercials too if you insert a 10-30 second news story like that.

No comments: