Monday, February 19, 2007

tainted love

Deep Thoughts

I disagree with the Intelligent Design theory. I think I have good reason too. It supports the idea of intelligent cause and secular belief. Now I’m assuming (please tell me if I’m wrong) that by intelligent cause they mean God. It’s a secular term for God. Right off the bat there’s a contradiction, unless they mean us when they say intelligent cause. I sure wish I believed in intelligent design theory when I was growing up because I would’ve willed myself to be a little bit taller and a lot less bald. Maybe if I concentrate really, really hard I can make that happen.
There are some things that I agree with in the declaration. Yes, science should be secular in their exploration. Therefore, Intelligent Design is automatically disqualified. It’s not science. Science doesn’t just disregard data because it doesn’t fit their theory like Intelligent Design does. All the problems and bad people in the world stem from the fact that they believe in Darwinian evolution? That might explain Oklahoma, but what about the warlords in Darfur? I don’t think anyone sat down with them and explained Darwinian evolution to them to make them do the things they do.
So where does that leave us? Do I think that God made me and put me where I am at this point in the space/time continuum? Not exactly, I believe in free will. Does God have a purpose for me? I don’t know, I don’t think anyone knows. For all we know, God made me just to take up space. Yes, I believe that the small things influence bigger things in life, the world, and the universe. Just like distant things influence things here on Earth.
I like the theory of evolution, it can explain things better and doesn’t place blame on God like Intelligent Design does in a roundabout manner. Now I don’t mind when an athlete thanks God for a victory, but I bear in mind the fact that if that’s so, then God is also responsible for the opponent for losing. You can’t have a winner without a loser. Why does God get credit for one and not the other? Losing is not necessarily bad, but God doesn’t get credit for that. So is losing one of the exploits of the devil? No, I don’t think so. Evolution would just say that the athlete that won was better suited to win than his opponent. Can’t argue there. ‘What if the guy that lost was tempted by the devil by alcohol and extra-martial sex?’ And the would-be winner wasn’t? Well, you’ve got free will. He could’ve said no, but his genetics and his upbringing told him otherwise and he said yes. Again, the winner was better suited to win.
So if there was an Intelligent Cause behind the creation of the planet and human life, then I’d say that there are some major flaws and almost contradict the term “intelligent.” What would be behind the purpose of child molesters, people that lock kids in cages, or people that talk in movie theaters? The whole balance thing? Really? Child molesters? I don’t think the world would be lacking anything if there weren’t any child molesters around. I’m just saying that it’s completely unnecessary. Same with the people that lock kids in cages “for their own good” and force them to defecate on themselves. Now theater talkers I just threw in there because it was on the show Firefly and I thought it would be funny. They really don’t serve a purpose, and don’t tell me to show how evil man can be because no one needs the evidence. For example, I don’t need evident to show me that having a big rock falling on me sucks because I know that if I wear blood on the outside of my body it usually is a bad thing. I learned that from the smaller things like papercuts.
I don’t know though, I like a happy medium answer where God set things in motion a long time ago (15 billion years or so from our perspective). I can swallow that more than *poof* the Earth. *poof* the sky. *poof* the oceans. *poof* Man. That’s just lazy, now setting something in motion 15 billion years ago is something more along God’s style.

No comments: