Saturday, March 03, 2007

amazing

First off, I'd like to thank my friend Wes. Without him, this "miracle" would never have taken place. No really. It wouldn't have. If he didn't get his car stuck on some country road I never would've had to gotten out and pushed it out. If I hadn't, I wouldn't have been so tired that I collapsed, spilling the contents of my jacket pocket.
Nah, I'm kidding. Wes was driving along said road and spotted my camera, and my keys. Which I picked up from him today. Look, I wasn't expecting to recover either of them. Lots of snow, lots of rain, both make it likely that it got washed away into some ditch, and then buried under some mud. This didn't happen though. So my keys are a little worse for the wear, 2 weeks in the snow will do that. It's a little rusted but I don't care. What I do care about is of course that I've got two complete sets of keys.
Since I wasn't really expecting to get my keys and camera back, I guess I wouldn't have been surprised if I did get them back and my camera was dead, damage, or destroyed. Huh. Another surprise there. Camera works fine. The lense was a little cloudy but I fixed it right up (wiped it down). I don't even know how it still works, but I'm grateful that it does.
So if anyone is shopping for an indestructible, little digital camera, I suggest the Pentax Optio S. Weather proven. Well, OK, talk to me after I go back to Iraq with this thing. Who knows, maybe it'll survive an IED, then it'll be indestructible.

2 comments:

damned_cat said...

pentax. optio. small. i haven't even purchased a memory card for mine yet. what do you like about yours? (besides the weather-proof thing.)

Dan said...

to be honest i was shopping tactically. by tactically i mean its portability and stowaway capacity. it's small enough to store in one of my first aid pouches. decent pixels. but what sold me was the price. it was like $225, and that was 3 years ago. i didn't want to lug a huge, awesome camera into combat. it just wasn't practical, but the optio is great for my army needs.
the guys in my unit make fun of me. what? japanese, carries a camera. need i say more?