Thursday, March 08, 2007

sweet child of mine

OK, I can't find the link now but yesterday I decided to take an some surveys yesterday. Not of the Myspace variety either, the serious ones. Or at least I thought so. The site had a specific section geared towards the military. So I thought I'd go ahead and answer a few questions to get some results. I clicked on the link to answer some questions to see if I had PTSD. For such a complex disease you'd think there would be a lot of questions. Instead, I got like a 20 question survey like "Have you every felt worthless in the last six months?" No moron, I'm a ray of sunshine 24/7. "Have you every felt intense anger in the last six months?" Again, no, because I'm a fricken saint! They also asked if I ever been deployed OCONUS (Outside CONtential United States) but didn't ask where or for how long. You know Hawaii is considered OCONUS right? Umm, great. So guess what? I've got PTSD. Anyone can have it if you just answer honestly. On the results page they tell me I should get checked out.
Then I went ahead and answered some of the other surveys. I'm also depressed (true), bi-polar (also true), and an alcoholic (very true). Ha! That's awesome. Ugh. I need some happy news. And by happy I just mean funny.

Oh no! It's Daylight Savings! Run for the hills. It's the end of the world! OK, well maybe it's not that severe but it is pretty bad. Part of Congress' Energy Policy Act included the fact that we'd observe daylight savings 3 weeks ahead of schedule and keep observing it one week past. So we'd get more "daylight" for an extra month. Keep in mind that this is just for the US and Canada. They got sucked in because they're in the same time zones as us. Now what this means is that for 3 weeks we'll be "ahead" of the rest of the world, then it'll go back to normal, then the rest of the world will fall behind us again while we bask in our glory for one more week. Hey, I like the sunlight. I don't understand the purpose behind daylight savings but hey, I grew up with it, I've learned to deal with it.
This is what pisses me off. Congress did this with the "intention" of saving energy? How does it save energy? That's like taping your car's odometer to 000001.0 and driving around. Yay! The car only has a mile on it. Just because you alter the readings doesn't mean anything. Businesses are still going to be working for 8 hours a day right? What did daylight savings do? Oh, well, it puts more of the sunlight during the work day. Oh, well, great. Thanks. The only thing that affects is the automatic light system in the parking lot. In the grand scheme of things, I don't think that changes anything because well, it's still only 9 hours of sunlight and 15 hours of darkness. It's just that now the 9 hours is between 9am to 6pm instead of 8am to 5pm. Brilliant plan people.
It wouldn't be such a big deal except that we're so dependent on our computers with the automatic time update, our cell phones that get accurate time, and all the other computerize crap. It's a nuisance to the rest of the world. And not to sound un-American, but the US is not the center of the world! This kind of crap affects the whole world. Well, it really doesn't bother the little Nigerian kids starving in the streets. They got other things to worry about. I'm just implying that this unilateral action affects a great deal in the world. Like if you decided that instead of driving between the lines on the highway that you drove on the line so that you take up two lanes. Well, that's great but you've effectively congested two lanes instead of one, not something to be proud of. Shame on you Congress!

Didn't I say this would happen?

All I can think is, "The report of my death was an exaggeration." - Mark Twain

4 comments:

damned_cat said...

find the link! fink the link!

Dan said...

https://www.mentalhealthscreening.org/

lucky thing my browser keeps those darn websites i visit.

it's a free military survey and if you thinking about screening yourself. you're fine. you're not crazy. a little weird but not crazy.

damned_cat said...

did i really type "fink the link"?

Dan said...

there's a consensus yes, you said fink.