Saturday, May 12, 2007

video killed the radio star

In this case though, the video iPod killed the radio star.

OK, so let's just say I'm feeling old. I've spent the last week (and more) working to deploy this unit. Taking care of lots of kids, it's like I'm a babysitter. Most of these kids are 18 or 19 years old. Now eight years is not a lot of time, but I guess it's difference that makes all of the difference. I was their age when I joined. When I was that young (and dumb) they were 11 year olds! Middle schoolers, at best, when I was joining the Army. How does that all happen? When did I become that old war vet sitting at the end of the bar talking about "the war" and how "all these young pups are in for the shock of their life."

I'm enjoying my time though. Even if it is in Columbus. I still want to go. Like I said, these are kids. I've taken them under my wing. Still trying to go, but it doesn't look good. Last week I went through RFI (Rapid Field Issue) where we got some cool stuff. New undershirts, some cold weather gear, and the new helmet. The ACH (Army Combat Helmet) is weird; I've seen the studies the internal padding helps with traumatic brain injury (but isn't any brain injury traumatic?) and the new 4-point harness helps with keeping the helmet stable during movements, but what I don't understand is what's with the velcro? Sorry, hoop and fastener system. What is up with it? Do I really need it?

The coolest thing I got though was the Oakley sunglasses. Now this is what your taxpayers' money is going to. They are sweet! Of course I was sweet too, I gave my pair to another soldier. She didn't heed one of my warnings and when getting issued cool, free stuff never admit you wear glasses. Otherwise you never get all the cool stuff. So I helped her out, not that it's the first time I've helped her out. Yeah, her being cute is a weakness for me. Long story short, I've ran into a semi-busy road to chase after said girl (drunk) to keep her from possibly getting hit from oncoming traffic. Just goes to show that I am incurably stupid.

I'm going back next week and the week after too. It's like I won't work my regular job for the rest of May.

No comments: