Tuesday, July 03, 2007

the roof, the roof, the roof is on fire

We don't need no water let the mother****er burn. Nah, water is a good thing. So why am I mentioning this? It's not funny, there's no humor to be found here. Well, it's because it happened in my apartment complex (Mohawk Hills), just two buildings down from my place. Plus, I caught most of the show. I was driving home at 9:45pm and saw the fire as it was just starting. I couldn't get by so I ended up backing up and parking it. Still, what's the point of a big fire if you can't share it with friends? So I called some friends but only got ahold of Wes and he came over. We went back to my place really quick to grab some soda and some chairs, we were planning on catching the whole show.
So it was a 2-alarm fire, three fire trucks showed up. Immediately I saw a problem, the firefighters were attacking the fire head-on instead of length-wise. I won't go into details about how long it took to deploy hoses (it's hard to do) so I'll just talk about rookie mistakes. They were trying to put out the fire on the second floor and shooting water up. The problem being that they were basically just getting the other side wet, completely over shooting the fire. They tried this tactic for awhile, getting nowhere as the fire continued to spread. Eventually (around 11pm) they got all three trucks working the angles and such but still the fire wasn't contained. OK, well the fire didn't have a chance to catch any other buildings on fire but it looked like it might run the whole building. Every time the firefighters would drench an area and move on, a few minutes later a fire was starting back up in the previous place. Towards the end (around midnight) Wes and I were actually cheering (quietly) for the fire's continuation but it looked pretty well contained so we headed home.
I'll take pictures of the place later today.

No comments: