Monday, October 29, 2007

let's sit

OK, so I'm procrastinating... Big deal. I'm supposed to be coming up with some presentations for the classes I'm instructing for my Army thing. Of course I couldn't stop at the two classes I'm giving next weekend, nope, I had to go ahead and do the other classes I'm doing over the next few months. Stop there? Why? I'm on a roll. Back in the day, on active duty, we used to have a huge training book. If you ever had to "teach" a class on any particular subject you just needed to pull out the book and pull the material you needed from it (return it afterwards). Poof. There's your class. My current unit lacks such a grand idea and in my infinite wisdom (or lack of a steady job) I've decided that would be my legacy. Put together this huge book. Or at least start it. The plan is to write the necessary outlines for instructors, a hard copy of a powerpoint presentation, and a cd with all the powerpoint classes. How well that goes, I'm not quite sure...


This weekend I got bored and watched into the CVS store near my house. The intention was getting one of those travel soap holders of a certain design. Why? Not because I'm planning on traveling, but a rather practical purpose not related to soap. It can be used as a cigarette pack holder. Getting back on track; I'm looking at the supposedly helpful aisle signs. I say supposedly because I locate the aisle I need but am curious as to the other signs in the store. I understand the concept behind them, they help shoppers quickly locate what they need. "Dairy" has dairy products. "Beverages" has an assortment of drinks, alcoholic and non. "Pharmacy" is the drugs. "First Aid" is the first aid. I'm curious though as to why anyone would come to a CVS for "External Pain." I'm going back tomorrow with my digital camera, but for now I'm wondering how someone can come up with this sign and not think that it's weird.






Not to make light of this story because I too used to hunt for dinosaur bones with my cousins when I was younger, but Texas is the ranked #2? Who's #1? Does this include subways?

If there's something, in the neighborhood. Who you gonna call? Ghostbusters! I suppose this is more for homeowners... you know, just in case.

Hahaha. Ginger Neanderthals! For more on the term, please click here. How cool is that Wikipedia redirected me to the red hair page from typing "gingers" in the search parameters?

See, I think this is how Mary Poppins really ended, but Disney had to give it a happy ending.

You know, if it didn't endanger other people's lives, I'd say let her do it.

Truer words have never been spoken.

7 comments:

damned_cat said...

man, i wish there were One Book for everything i ever needed to teach.

damned_cat said...

and hey, i don't see why katie can't name those who get colonoscopies as HER heroes. heroic is a subjective adjective, so you can't be wrong, no matter who you name. unless you were to name britney spears as any kind of hero, yeah, that would be wrong.

Dan said...

hey, it's not everything but i'm leaving instructions (that won't get followed) for people to add other stuff to it.


no, heroes is not as subjective as you like to think. colonoscopy? courageous maybe. heroic? superman is a hero, not because he had prostate cancer but because he made the choice to help others with little or no regard to himself (it helps to be invincible too). a hero isn't a parent that teaches a kid to read. a hero goes above and beyond their job, their duty and doesn't do it for the fame or money.

damned_cat said...

boldness, altruism, and determination are all characteristic of heroicism ... ms. katie might also call those willing people heroes because they pave a path of sorts for others who might be fearful of the procedure (who the hell wouldn't be, really).

parents who teach their kids to read are doing more of a service to them than parents who hate each other yet stay together "for the kids." sure they're going "above and beyond" and acting unselfishly for their kids but i'd sooner award a medal to a courageous single parent doing phonics before bed than a couple of screaming adults insisting on living under the same roof.

i am straying. i guess my point was that even if we don't give colonoscopy patients or awesome parents a "hero" tag, it can still be subjective.

Dan said...

i think it's courageous to undergo a colonscopy. i know i'd rather be in iraq than on that table. but to attach a the "hero" tag on them is like having a fundraiser for bill gates. it doesn't make sense (at least to me).

damned_cat said...

i interrupt this lively debate to point out that i fully agree with you on your points re: heroicism and am arguing because that's what i do.

p.s. do you think bill gates is a hero? just a side ...

Dan said...

i know.

some people do think that he is a hero. i don't, but there are some out there that do because they throw the term around loosely.