Friday, February 22, 2008

my strangest fear

I don't know if you can use strange and fear in the same sentence. Oh well, so I have acrophobia. I'm acrophobic. I have an abnormal fear of heights. I don't know if it's abnormal or not. And it's not about the height, but rather the sudden stop at the end that I'm afraid of. That's right, I'm man enough to say it. What makes it strange is that I've rappelled off of 200ft cliffs, cliff-jumped into lakes, rock climbing, and lots of other stuff involving heights yet I'm still scared until I've done it. Then, it can reappear all of a sudden without warning and I'll be scared to jump off the same cliff I've been jump off of for the last hour.
If that doesn't sound strange here's something too. Lately I've been playing my Lego Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy game. There's a couple of levels that involve heights (within the game) and there's ledges, no railing. I get nervous playing the game, almost like I get nervous jumping off of cliffs. It's not the exact same, rather just a less intense feeling, but I get that feeling playing a game with heights. You've got to admit that's strange, because I've got the cheat codes for invincibility and it's a kid's game so it's not like its the end of the game if my character falls over.

Did any of that make sense?

3 comments:

damned_cat said...

A video game brings out your acrophobia?

Dan said...

strange isn't it? or weird? and it doesn't bring out the phobia but there is definitely something! it's not like i'll just stop playing the game at random because of the phobia.

see? there's more than meets the eye to me. although i don't think this falls into the "good" qualities.

damned_cat said...

well, at least you're not boring.