Sunday, August 31, 2008

raindrops on roses

Lately I've questioned the cable programming of ABC Family. Well, not really but I've seen Top Gun on the channel. Then recently I saw a movie about a nun-in-training that falls in love with a retired naval captain with 7 kids that end up having to flee their home from the Nazi. OK, it's the Sound of Music. Not to say that the musical portion of the movie isn't kid-worthy but you know 70-80 years ago the Nazis were a real threat and now they've been reduced to the ABC Family channel? Hmm, can't say that it's impressive.
I guess I remember the kid version of the movie, where the Nazi fleeing wasn't part of it. I remember all of the singing, but they didn't have to flee the Nazis. In fact, I don't remember the Nazis. The first time I saw the Sound of Music as an adult was back in 2001. I was quite surprised to find out that there were Nazis in the movie. When the heck did this happen? It's not like I knew who or what the Nazis were when I was a kid, so maybe it's just that I didn't care about it. Would I really miss out? It's possible that I fell asleep, that'd explain not knowing about the Nazis.
What I'm trying to say is that knowing now who and what the Nazis are, I really don't find it appropriate to have the Nazis on the ABC Family channel. Although as kids, I guess what you don't know can't hurt you. Or in this case, freak you out a little.
Plus, growing up and knowing about the world, I seriously doubt that this would be a plausible story to replicate. I mean, what family musical group would win a festival with a song about a doe being a female deer, or tea with jam and bread? Well, I could see it as a reality show, but then Liesl would drop the rest of her family and get her own solo career. She'd have one real hit, then go to rehab for a coke habit, and end up on Vh1's Celebrity Fit Club.



Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things
Cream colored ponies and crisp apple streudels
Doorbells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles
Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings
These are a few of my favorite things

Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes
Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes
Silver white winters that melt into springs
These are a few of my favorite things

When the dog bites
When the bee stings
When I'm feeling sad
I simply remember my favorite things
And then I don't feel so bad

1 comment:

damned_cat said...

i dunno about you, but i wanted to wring every one of the von trapp kids' necks from the beginning of the movie till the end.

i can't believe someone wants to have kids with me.