Wednesday, October 15, 2008

it's not quite the same is it?

A freak accident? What's that? A kid dying or someone blocking a punt? OK, that's not right to make fun of the situation and I'm not (I'm sure a zebra is going to kick my ass later), but CPR? For a blocked airway? Uh, no. That's like removing a toenail to get rid of the flu. I can understand how someone could administer CPR to a kid for a blocked airway though, I mean, by the time the teacher got there the kid was unconscious and the other kids wouldn't be able to help with the situation; so the teacher does the only thing they can. Details are lost in the confusion, bruising around the neck or kids mentioning that he was conscious awhile ago. And for kids out there that want to try to block punts, keep your head down to your chest.

I'm feeling sympathetic today, because I don't want to completely rip apart people for doing stupid things. Just to put in context, the British version of 911 is 999. Well, 999 may have worked on the old style rotary phones (it wouldn't taken people awhile to dial it but whatever) and on home phones but I can see where cell phones might be a problem. I have received more than my fair share of "pocket dialing" where someone puts their phone in their pocket and calls me. I was the last person they called and dynamics in pockets can sometimes call the last dialed. What sucks though is that 999 has a computer program that automatically screens these types of calls, which in theory sounds good right? Cuts down on the wasted time of operators, frees up emergency lines. Seriously though, how much of a pandemic is it that 999 gets pocket dialed now? Is it worth it? I know it sounds like something from TV, where the victim secretly calls 911 (or 999) and keeps the phone on while the police trace the call and swoop in at the last minute to save the day but it does happen in real life. It sucks that a computer program screens for something else kicks out this call, because it could have saved her life. Now if a person had hung up on her that would've been different and I would've kicked someone ass but maybe they'll do something about the crappy system that frees up so much time.

Ah. Old school pedophile. I'm surprised anyone tries it anymore with the Internet in play. Well, I guess with parents and commercials warning about "online predators" that sometimes they forget to warn kids about the creepy dude in the clown costume and the really creepy van. Then again, I don't think kids are that stupid but I've been proven wrong before.

1 comment:

damned_cat said...

Oh no, kids dying on the playground. I am not making light either, but ... like we needed to throw MORE caution to recess (as it is, they want everyone indoors all the damn time, WHY!??! Because of sh*t like this.)

:(