Sunday, December 07, 2008

my couch

From my couch I ponder some of life's mysteries. I stare at my dry-erase board where I have scribed up calculus equations and contemplate astrophysics. The couch is where I control my TV watching (or it controls me). It's where I play my video games from and often times do my homework on. You could say that my couch is a part of my life. It is after all, where I eat my dinner too.

I'm a believer. I believe that any kid that is moved by the movie "Star Wars" likes to think that they're a Jedi Knight like Luke Skywalker. I believe that the automatic doors at the grocery store actually open because I wave my hand in front of me rather than detect my presence with a simple radar system. What? It moves after I wave my hand, that's the only explanation that I will accept.

Guys walks into the bank and look around for the security cameras. Not to make sure that they're safe, but because deep down (for about 30 seconds) we think we could actually rob the place. We're scoping out the place; casing the joint. Of course we don't because most of us fear getting caught, convicted, and sentenced to prison. Otherwise, we'd go for it.

The reason why stories and movies about superheroes are so appealing because we all want to be superheroes. Who wouldn't want to be a billionaire that secretly moonlights as a superhero? Or that a mild-mannered reporter (or office drone) could fly around faster than a speeding bullet or more powerful than a locomotive. I just don't think that any of us would sit in traffic rather than get out and fly to work.

All of us are dreamers.

No comments: