Thursday, September 14, 2006

airport security

I'm too tired to rant. *gasp* Yeah, no. Yes, I arrived in Indy at 11pm EDT after a four-hour flight which was proceeded by an hour long meeting, cleaning and packing.
When I was at the airport on Monday, I noticed in the concourse one of the weirdest vending machines. Yeah you can't bring in outside liquids but you can purchase them once you pass security but again you can't take it on the plane. Once on the plane you can have all that you like. Sort of the same with knives, can't bring them in but they give you one on the plane. Not a plastic one, but a real one. Real security huh? And we got real glass in first class. Hmm.
OK, so back to vending machine. Nearby there's all sorts of vending machines. Pepsi, Coke, stamps, sandwiches and phone cards. All of the small impulse buys I can understand. However, Indy has a rare, unique, or weird one. There's an iPod and iPod accessories vending machine. And not just one but two, side by side. One sold the Nano and accessories, the other had the Shuffle and accessories. Since when was an iPod a purchase I wanted to make from a vending machine in an airport? OK, I understand the Duty Free shop and the sky magazine thing, but an iPod? From a vending machine? Is that really what the American dream is all about?
Who buys an iPod at an airport? "Oh, nice iPod. Where'd you get it?" "At the airport, when I was on a layover." I guess it would make a great last minute gift around Christmas. OK, and if you needed a birthday present too. I prefer my notion that there's someone out there so adverse to personal interaction that they purchase a ticket online, check-in online and go to the airport just to buy an iPod out of the vending machine. All that to avoid having to deal with a salesman.
Last great vending machine frontier: Real estate.

1 comment:

damned_cat said...

and here i am struggling with the one vending machine we have on campus because they just put mountain dew in and i can't drink soda. jerks.

indiana sounds interesting. being the only ipod non-owner on earth, though, makes it impossible for me to get excited about the vending machines ...