Thursday, September 21, 2006

take beano before there'll be no cancer

Continuing the trend of media scaring the bejesus out of us, heartburn or GERD now can cause esophageal cancer. 60 million Americans report that they experience heartburn at least once a month, nearly 15 million experience it daily. Barrett's esophogaus <- a disease, not someone I know named Barrett, has been linked to esophageal cancer. So next time you choose Mexican or bite into a juicy hot dog you might get cancer.
Great, now I can't even enjoy the foods I eat! Spinach in 2006, Chi Chi's onions in 2003, now cancer? Next they'll say that sitting at home leads to brain tumors.
Last night, M. and W. and I were having a discussion about hospice workers. M. said that the requirements were that you had to have a terminal illness and if you can afford the worker, you can have one for two years. When he said terminal illness, I told him that everyone has a terminal illness. Life. Terminal refers to 'certain death' in this case right? I guarantee you that I'll eventually die from life. Maybe not in two years but who knows? Although I don't think life is a recognized illness or disease, I think it should be. Life kills more people than heart attacks and accidents combined annually. Life has been killing for thousands of years and there's no sign of curing it any time soon, I don't even think there are people working on it.


Could be I'm just paranoid...

2 comments:

damned_cat said...

total ignorance - the only way to dine.

Dan said...

haha. yeah. my kind of dining.