Friday, November 03, 2006

Dear God c/o New Jersey shoreline

Well, some letters to God washed up in New Jersey. You might think it's sad or maybe it's atrocious that this was the end for these letters. Me, I think it's hilarious. Maybe God was in New Jersey playing skeeball and just had the mail forwarded there. *gasp* Which may explain why I recently received a letter from Hell confirming my reservation.
Most of the letters were addressed to Reverend Cooper, Mount Calvary Baptist Church, or 'Altar'. The contents of the letters ranged from forgiveness to winning the lottery (twice).
Now you've got to be wondering, "What's he going to make fun of? God? Religion?" No. Sticking with the theme, people are stupid. Not the ones that wrote the letter, but the ones that think that's it's silly to write a letter to God and the ones that think that the unopened letters were unread.
People need something to believe in, be it an invisible guy the lives in the sky, science or the fact we are remnants of alien souls. Me, I was sort of raised Catholic. Confession, Lent, Easter, these are familiar to me. Belief, whatever it may be in, is required for our existence. So from a Catholic perspective, these letters are like confessions or prayers (depending on the subject). OK, not real confession since there isn't a priest involved, and to hand out judgements like saying ten 'Our Fathers' and an act of penance.
So what if Reverend Cooper didn't read them? Is he screening God's mail? I don't think so, once it was written and sent it was in God's inbox. The physical letter may not have been read, but the content was received and that's the important thing. Yes, it's a shame that the letters washed up in such a public forum but maybe it's God's will.
Maybe it was a story told by a priest, or I heard it somewhere else but someone once told me that God doesn't answer all of our prayers. If He did, then we wouldn't do anything for ourselves and we'd lose His greatest gift, free will. And that sometimes, He doesn't answer them because He has a bigger and better plan for us.

"Some of God's greatest gifts, are unanswered prayers." - Garth Brooks "Unanswered Prayers"

Composing a letter to God is no more foolish than writing Santa Claus or tossing a quarter over your shoulder into a wishing pond. I pretty much view all of them as a waste of money and resources, to be better used for something I need. But hey, it's your time and money. Waste it as you see fit, just as long as it doesn't affect me. I just hope that I get a seat with a view down in Hell.
Or maybe, just maybe, there's a simpler explanation for all of this that we're overlooking. Maybe God's dumping His trash in New Jersey like the rest of America.

2 comments:

damned_cat said...

that article made me cry.

he better be donating those eBay profits to some kind of charity.

Dan said...

the article made me laugh.

i don't think he'll donate it to a charity... unless you consider feeding his own family a charity.