Monday, November 06, 2006

Wow

So much happened over the weekend that I don't even know where to start. Let's start with World News.
Saddam Hussein will be receiving the death penalty in his issuing the killing of 148 Shiites in 1982. "Oh my!" So before you think that this is a conspiracy to re-elect the incumbent Republicans, the verdict is going up before the appellations court. Plus, that's only one case out of many for the last thirty years. We're going for the trifecta, all death sentences by different methods simultaneously which is topped off by life in prison.
OK, so we got the major news out of the way. Now for a little ranting about my weekend. As many of you know I play soldier one weekend a month as a Army Reservist. The drill (or battle assembly) went as scheduled, I helped inventory a roomful of equipment, loaded tents into a container and started a fire. Actually, I started several fires. Three to be exact. Doesn't sound bad does it? It gets worse. The first one is in a small metal garbage can but I've got a lot to burn so I change locations and cans. Did I mention that I'm burning stuff of a sensitive nature? Yeah, I guess that'd help explain why I'm starting fires. Well, now I've got me one of them big metal trash cans and I'm pouring in paper, stirring it around and dumping in more paper. After all of the paper is burnt, ashed and extinguished, I go ahead and mix in water and stir some more. I let it cool off for awhile and I get some help to dump all of this. Now here's the fire I didn't mean to start. I dumped the ashes in the big dumpster, no big deal right? Wrong. Apparently someone had raked up alot of leaves and also put them in the same dumpster. See where I'm going with this? Hot ashes + dry leaves = ??? Derr, fire! FIRE!
Now I'm trying to get water to douse the flames, it takes several gallons to put out this substantial fire. There were also cardboard boxes and manuals inside too that also like to catch fire.
Everyone's looking around to see who to blame, "Who's bright idea was this?" And you know what I did? I shot my hand up and spoke up, "Mine!" I said proudly. I guess it's the opposite of the boy who cried wolf because now we have a decent size rock in our unit that has "I Are Rock" written on it to identify those soldiers that are deserving of 'special' recognition by everyone. You'd think starting a fire in the dumpster would qualify for the rock, but because I take responsibility for everything else no one really believes me whenever it is actually my fault. Sweet.
Speaking of military acts of stupidity, we have this new program going on. People that are overweight or failed a PT test (both of which I excelled at) had to do remedial PT. I've done it before, not a problem. I need it and sometimes enjoy it. I have a problem with stupidity though. Sunday at 1600hrs (4pm for you non-military people) we do PT for an hour as a company. Great, I'm all for that. Then we have sign-out formation (again, something I'm not against) and at 1715 (5:15pm) they have the brilliant idea of having remedial PT. Do you see a problem with that? Let's see, do PT for an hour and then do it again a mere fifteen minutes later for the people that have trouble doing PT. Uh, wow, that's stupid. For me to do it is even more stupid. I have a three hour trip (at 80mph) back home afterwards. I wake up at 0400 (4am) to go to drill and I don't get home until 8 or 9 that night. It's already a tough drive just for being up that long, but add in the physical exhaustion from all that stupidity? Hmm, Stacy versus a tractor/trailer or a cement median. Stacy and I lose. So to prevent this I don't do the stupidity on Sunday after work.

No comments: