Friday, December 15, 2006

joy to the world

Religion & Business K-I-S-S-I-N-G. First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes the impending lawsuits.
You know me, I hate when someone tries to force their religion upon me but if my boss wants to say a prayer before a meeting. Well, that's his preference. Yes, I think it's a waste of time but guess what, his signature is my on my paycheck. Do I feel discriminated? Nope. I wouldn't ask him to say an 'Our Father' or anything before for me but only because I think it IS a waste of time in a place of business. Like when I say grace before chowing down on my lunch with co-workers, I don't expect them not to start eating their unblessed heathen food. Just don't ask me questions when my head is bowed in prayer. That'll piss me off. There's a line to be drawn. I don't ask my co-workers to hold hands and bow their heads to say grace with me, I respect them enough to keep them out of my beliefs.
If I weren't Catholic and someone sent me a Christmas card that said "Merry Christmas" on the front, I don't think I'd be offended. The person sending it is Christian. Good for him/her, they're religious and that counts in my book. It may not be my religion so they don't get as many points but still get points. I wouldn't be offended if a Jew sent me a 'Happy Chanukah' card. A card isn't going to covert me to Judaism. For me it's like getting a greeting in another language from a strange guy, he's not trying to conform me. He's just saying hi. It's the intent behind the words.
I joke about religion and faith, but it is an important part of my life as it is in other people's lives too. I just don't think God cares if there's a Liturgy or not, just that you believe in Him. Yahweh, Allah or God, it's all the entity, just the way we pay our respects differs. I'd think He cares more about how we live our lives than how many times a day we pray to Him/ how much money we put in the donation basket/ or what kind of headgear we wear. If He cares about the pomp and circumstance of religion, then I don't think I want to worship Him. Even in gods (with the lower-case g) or deities too, it's the same guy up there, people just have a different name for each act He does. Big whoop.

There's a few things that I'd disagree with about religious discrimination in the work place. For example, if I had to say a prayer at work before I 'punched in'. Or if I had to end each email to my boss with "Blessed be". If my boss was Jewish (which he ain't) and he sent me a Happy Chanukah card, so I send him a Merry Christmas card and he gets angry about it. Also, if our meetings were held at church. Mandatory bible studies.

Whew. That wasn't as long as I thought it was going to be. It was going to be much longer and cover a bunch more stuff, but I get tired of typing all that. So your eyes win.







Amen!

2 comments:

damned_cat said...

someone always says a blessing before our xmas/end-of-year parties. come to think of it, always the same person. if she ever left, i'm not sure who would do it, if anyone would.

Dan said...

somebody would always step up. it's the nature of things.