Tuesday, February 27, 2007

the distance

You know, I never went through any training for this. In fact, no unit did a training exercise of this magnitude for the first two years of the war. People are trying to make a big deal out of it. And not to diss the training but soldiers are given the impression that this is based on real events and strategies, which is it, but aren't told how to adapt. Us, we didn't know what to expect so there was no preparation. Instead, we made up the doctrine as we went along. Trial and error, but we knew that and accepted the fact that we'd have to be adaptive.
We'd call them Boot Camp know-it-alls. They'd graduate basic training and jump into an active duty unit, telling seasoned soldiers what to do because "it's what drill sergeant said." Uh, no, sorry kid but that ain't how the real Army works. I'd have a good time with it though, I'd let them fail and pick them up and then show them how to do it. Worked pretty good. They never mouthed off to me, thought I was an a$$hole, but they listened when I spoke.

You'd think that the guy in Florida could tell us. Although I guess he'd probably say no in order to keep his cover.

I remember when I was first told about the emergency radio frequencies. Yeah, they overlapped garage door openers and even could be picked up by certain walkie-talkies. It happened in the higher end of the spectrum. Higher end means better distance. Who wants a garage door opener that only works right in front of the garage? What is this? the 80's? Geez, I want to be a about half-a-mile away and open my garage. That way it's completely open by the time I get home. I can't brake twice in my driveway!

We Were Soldiers Once... and Young. Nuff said.

I don't understand the purpose behind this. Or why that it is even news. Is Strom Thurmond Al Sharpton's daddy? Or that the Thurmonds were once a prominent white, slave owning family? Or that Sharpton's ancestors were slaves? What? Why is this news? I'm sure someone could trace their lineage to a slave owned by George Washington. What's the big deal? Oh, Strom Thurmond wanted to keep racial segregation. Oh, well, so did a lot of people back then. Guess what? He was a politician, he says things that he thinks that will win him votes. What? You think that everyone was honest back then? That just magically politicians became liars overnight? Really? What's this magically fairy land that you live in? Just so I can get some grid coordinates to carpet bomb the place. Look, I'm not saying that Thurmond was right or wrong, but those were the times. The dude was born in 1903, into a privileged family. He was a product of his environment and upbringing.

Dam yo! Uz acting white wit ur str8 deez in skool! Well you know what? *bleep* them. Hopefully you'll be far away from that when all of your "so-called friends" are selling dope and get shot down in a drive-by. I guess you really don't need an education if you're just going to sell crack and attempt to shoot at people while riding in a car. Tell you what, why don't you get a headstart and go play in traffic.

While the kids might not be retarded, I'm pretty sure that the Social Security workers were. Good job people!

No comments: