Wednesday, February 28, 2007

joyride

At first I thought 'Uh-oh. They're onto me' but I'm not a columnist so it doesn't apply to me. Whew. And you'd think that a proof-reading of the publication before it goes to presses would've picked it up. You know, editors and stuff. Right?

This kid takes the cake on childhood obesity and then eats it. Then he goes around and eats the other kids' cakes too. There's other factors to consider. The mother suffers from depression and I don't know if that has anything to do with it but it could be a form of binge eating. Instead of feeding her own face, she feeds her kid's and that makes her happy.
Now I'm going to tease the fat kid, because when I was younger (and I was the skinny kid) I got picked on a lot by the fat kid. He's a bit of a wuss too, getting picked on? He's a 5-foot tall 8 year old that weighs 200lbs. He could pretty plow through anything at that point. Although I guess to be a bully one has to be active and this kid is anything but. Unless you count the repetitive motion of raising food to his mouth. Oh, and this:
"People pick on us because of my weight. They call us fat. It makes us feel sick of the nutters always shouting at us," Connor told ITV.
OK kid, you know you're fat when you refer to yourself as "us."

Now I've got to say something about this because, well, I went to DePauw. Delta Zeta sorority on DePauw got a visit from their nationals, which is a big thing because if nationals have to step in you've got problems. Well, DZ has been falling short on their recruitment numbers. So what did nationals do? What any sorority national chapter do, kicked out the cows. Now, I love DZ, some good friends were DZ's. They were an interesting bunch. I don't think it's right that they selected people by their physical appearances and made them alumna just to get them out of the house. I understand that they weren't what nationals expected of members physically, but to cover that up by saying that they didn't meet recruitment standards? What the heck does that mean? So only the pretty recruit the pretty, right? It's all vanity, yes, I'm jealous but I can see its benefits. Of course there's its disadvantages too but a small plight to pay to be beautiful.
I support the outcasted DZ's. And I give them their props too, because I'm sure that the news stories about the whole incident haven't helped recruiting. Unless, there's no such thing as bad PR.

1 comment:

damned_cat said...

seriously. we're shocked and appalled and heartily apologize for the publication of this piece that went from the writer to copy desk where it was checked one at a time by six copy editors, passed over to the desk editor for final proofing and then to layout/pagination, sorry, sorry, we must all have had our eyes closed. tight.