Friday, March 30, 2007

nellyville

I'm on the side of the defendant. Me, I experience road rage at least once a day sometimes more. And this story is proof of why I don't think I should own a gun. Hey, nothing says "speed up!" like a few well-placed rounds in the back of the car. Still, it's not that they didn't negotiate a turn fast enough but rather a total lack of concern for everyone else. Say you're making a right turn onto a street from a one-lane road. Now the one-lane road speed limit is 40MPH and you can safely make this turn at about 20MPH. Is it really necessary to make the turn at 5MPH? Yes, the safety of your family is paramount, but you can take the turn faster and remain safe, or you can take it really slow (which is the safest) and risk having the next four cars behind you plow into you at 40+ MPH. And what about the people behind you? You think where they're going is any less important than where you're going? And yes, I try to put the welfare of others before my own. On my way home from work everyday I have to execute a U-turn right at the entrance of my apartment complex. It's actually the highlight of my day. I've seen people make the same turn I make at less than 5MPH, darn near causing accidents (these people tend to swing out like a tractor-trailer making a turn). As I'm approaching the U-turn I speed up to give myself a little room behind me, down-shift, brake, and execute the turn. Yes, I'm safe, I look to see if there is any traffic where I'm turning ahead of time. I do it partly because I'm trying not to impede others in their journey, but also because it's fun as hell!

What gets me is the daycare comes equipped with bulletproof glass. Yeah... that can't be a good sign can it? Nah, I understand the need for bullet-resistant glass, it doesn't break when you toss a ball against it. Yeah, nothing is really "bulletproof" but bullet-resistant.

No comments: