Thursday, April 12, 2007

ride of the valkyries

Now I wish I was on active duty. I find it funny that at the end of the article that Speaker Nancy Pelosi is urging President Bush to "sit down with us to find a solution to bring this war to an end." Hmm, well there's only 2 outcomes in war. One is victory. The other is defeat. Now I have to wonder exactly how much experience in military campaigns those Democrats have. I'm not saying that Republicans are any better but wars are led by generals, many of them with thirty-years plus of experience. And some snot-nosed Ivy league brat that's never picked up a gun, stepped foot on a military base, or even spent a year in Iraq is going to tell me how to win a war from thousands of miles away? I'm sorry if I don't jump on that wagon right away.

What about, "Oops!" Yeah, I've watched enough medical dramas in my life (ER, Grey's Anatomy, Scrubs, House) to know you never start a sentence to a patient with "I'm sorry." Makes for good drama as well as malpractice suits. My thing is yes, I have certain expectations of someone that's gone to eight years of college, spends so many years doing hands-on learning, and so on. Still I can say this confidently, I don't think I could do a better job in most cases.

I am mentioning this article because I actually had to go and look up the word egalitarian. So the point of the experiment was to create balance? Taking from the rich and giving to the poor just makes sense, that doesn't prove that people have the "Robin Hood impulse" does it? It's the easiest and surest way to achieve the goals of the experiment. I dunno.

Migrant wedding dresses.

2 comments:

damned_cat said...

Of course "I'm sorry" is a confession. If you didn't make a mistake, why would you apologize? No one's going to say "I'm sorry, I did everything correctly but you look like crap."

P.S. Are we an egalitarian society, or do we draw the line at wanting homeless people to have homes just to clean up the streets so that non-homeless people won't feel unsafe/guilty? I don't see a lot of uber-wealthy people trying to even the score by throwing money at the poorer masses, unless you count $1000-plate charity balls where people wear $2000 dresses and get their pictures taken. That's one of the million reasons I love Angelina Jolie (that and her luscious eyes). Sure she does some of her community service in couture, but a lot of the time she's got her hands in the dirt. Mm, luscious dirty hands.

I really need to shut up and go to work. (How evident is it that I'd rather be anywhere but here?)

Dan said...

see, i don't think in most cases "i'm sorry" is a confession. it's not a perfect world. there's complications in everything. saying sorry is a by-product of society. if you he someone from the side or behind you get out and say "i'm sorry" it's not a confession that you were at fault. what if he ran a red light and that was the cause of the accident?

p.s. it's houseless-ness. home is an abstract. poor people are houseless. hehehehe. there's no money to be made from giving money to the houseless. unless it's in hawaii and you drive down the value of the neighborhood and force people to move and then buy their property to sell later and make more money.
giving homes to the houseless is like giving a man a fish. that's great, but what about tomorrow? and what about the rest of us? if rich people were paying rent for poor/jobless people you know what? i'd quit my job. nonono, it's like negotiating with terrorists. a simple no policy.