Thursday, July 26, 2007

halfway around the world

OK. Rant I shall. I need to otherwise I'll explode. Now I preface this by saying that I like ITT-Tech as a school. So what's my issue? My gripe? This intro classes. They hire professionals in the fields they teach, which is great I think. I'd rather be taught about police procedures by a cop instead of some professor that's never been in the field. So the 1st week or two my problem solving class was being taught by someone (Rebecca Gaddy) that probably was around when they invented electricity. I don't know what her field of expertise is but it isn't math.
She admitted to the class that she'd only be two weeks ahead of the class. OK, that's fine. I like honesty and I understand that she has a limited time to prep. So I don't expect her to give detailed information about the weird subjects we're learning but she can't even convey the simplest information that she is supposedly teaching. We were learning binary numbers in accordance with the book. 0001. 0010. 0011. So on and so forth. That was Part One. Part Two was add and subtract binary numbers. I don't have background in binary so I have to rely on her expertise. Except that she left out some crucial steps, not by accident but because she didn't know it herself! Her answer to our questions was "Um..." I made some comments that 2nd week and she stopped teaching the class.
We were given a good guy, Ogega, and actually learned. He had to take two weeks off, so who'd we end up with as a substitute? Dumbass Gaddy. So Tuesday we were doing a lot of different things, learning basic statistics, graphing, and stuff of that nature. The second hour was supposed to be dedicated to Fahrenheit and Celsius and using graphs to illustrate the difference. Easy right? Maybe do about ten minutes worth of work. She didn't even know what the assignment was! Instead of working on the classwork she was reviewing graphs for ONE student. While she was reviewing the rest of us were attempting the classwork and part of homework assignment. We were quietly working on our work, not bothering anybody or even talking.
Gaddy stops in the middle of her sentence and demanded our attention. Then she goes on about this rant about how it's rude for us, the quiet ones, to be working on our classwork while she was "teaching" and blah blah blah, how we're spending money to come there and learn so they should learn! OK, that pissed me off. She had the audacity to assume that she was TEACHING us something? Still, I kept my mouth shut. Otherwise I'd end up kicking her ass up between her shoulder blades.
Back to Fahrenheit and Celsius, the classwork. The first part was easy, graph them. The graph would give us a pictorial representation of the conversion. She attempted to show us how to graph them, but she couldn't follow the basic directions given in our book. Graph, OK. What should be our intervals? So we selected the intervals for her, class participation is good. She made a mistake right from the get go, I tried to point it out but to no avail, so I made the comment to someone across the room, "well this should be interesting." She completed the graph wrong and then noticed that she had done it wrong. It was interesting to see her redo the whole thing. The second part was to convert the graph in an algebraic equation, then compare the two methods. Difficult, but not impossible. Still, she didn't have a clue what the algebraic equation to convert them. I had accidentally stumbled upon the right answer but I couldn't confirm it.
I understand that it was problem solving, but SHE DIDN'T KNOW THE ANSWER HERSELF! Aren't teachers supposed to know the answers to the problems they pose? I actually went to the computer lab next door to find the answer, print it out, and handed it to her. You know what her reason she didn't know the answer? "Well it's a problem solving class. It's supposed to teach you how to solve a problem. First comes the math and then the problem." OK, WHAT THE F**K kind of answer is that for not knowing the classwork for the teacher? On top of that she didn't even teach the math portion! She couldn't!
I'm not saying she's a bad person, or even a bad whatever the hell her official profession is. What I'm saying is that she's a horrible teacher for Problem Solving. She can't teach to save her life! Some people just aren't teachers, that's fine. Just accept your limitations. It's a good thing 85% (yeah, I did the math) already know most of the math associated with this class, otherwise we'd be screwed if she 'taught' us.

I feel better now, I felt bad while typing it but I'm better.

No comments: