Sunday, July 29, 2007

the hustle

I guess someone is actually reading my blog about water. I got a question, is there really a political opposition to the labeling of water? Well, all shapes and sizes I guess. Wonder if this will have an effect on their sales. Aquafina goes under? I did not know that Pepsi owned Aquafina and Coke owned Dasani. Weird.

I don't know what to say about this except that I enjoyed reading it. The format was something I'd do. Sarcasm is just dripping off that article. Sweet!

Really. I'd love to go to Comic-Con or maybe a Star Trek convention. I love comics, Star Trek, and sci-fi stuff in general. The only downside? Being seen (or associated) by total strangers (or friends) with these crazy people. Dressing up like Superman doesn't make you a superhero, it just makes you look like a dork. Maybe I'm just a closet sci-fi enthusiast, whatever, I just have a disdain for those people that dress up and go to those conventions. And no, I don't wear football jerseys because that's not my name on the back it's some other guy's. He earned it, I didn't.

While I applaud the alternative punishment it does seem a bit extreme. The guy is 73 years-old, and accepted $200 to haul the metal. For that he has to clean a veterans' memorial with a toothbrush, pay $9,000 in restitution, and $2,095 in fees and fines. Yes, he should clean the memorial, but pay $9,000 in restitution? Paying $9,000 for taking $200? Well that makes no kind of sense, but I guess if you do something then do something big. The $2,095 in fees is OK, he should pay for his day in court (literally).

Just proof that Illinois has too much time on their hands. I like how they describe the ketchup as "tomato goop" as if that was the technical term. I guess the reporter was in the 3rd grade. My contribution? Well, I've got the little drive-thru packets I'd be willing to add to the mix. Now they need to build a mustard bottle to put next to it, then salt and pepper. Heck, just build the largest fully functional table. Although I guess their table would have to be like 3-4 stories high.

Even though it was a violent crime, it just warms the heart to see a community come together over such a little thing. Granted that kid probably made more money from the robbery than he did running a lemonade stand. As touching as it was it still leaves me with some questions. Like, what was he charging for drinks? He had a total of $20 in there. That's a lot of drinks for a lemonade stand in this day and age. Unless a lot of people frequent his establishment.
And yes, I tried it once. I was not the entrepreneur that I thought I was. I think I got like $3 or so at 25-cents a cup. And I'm pretty sure I (my parents) spent more than $3 on supplies for this little endeavor. Perhaps it was my location, I hear that's important in starting your own business.

Reminds me of Joe Dirt when they describe the ice chunk. It was a Boeing Bomb. Ew!

2 comments:

damned_cat said...

ketchup is an interesting way to rebuild a school. i mean, if you absolutely can't think of anything useful create.

dan, i think i've surpassed you in evilness, i read the lemonade stand robbery story and laughed.

Dan said...

you're not evil. you're just mean!