Tuesday, July 24, 2007

pennies & dimes

Day One: UPS unloader trainee - OK, well I had to leave class early Monday night to make my first day as a trainee. I'd be working the twilight shift. Nope, not the graveyard shift, I guess it sounds scary or something. So I had the distinct honor of being selected to take the sorter test. There's some advantages to it, first off it'd be "easier" work. By easier I just mean it'll be less physical. Second, it's $1 more per hour from the get go. Woo! $9.50 an hour! The down side? Memorizing zip codes. Harder mental work, whereas as an unloader there's no mental strain except to wonder how fast I can unload a truck. So what to do? I have to take my first test tomorrow, it's not bad I just have to memorize the zip codes in Indiana, how hard can that be? Well, for me there is one issue. Being a unit armorer in the Army has completely screwed me in memorizing numbers. Whew. I barely know my necessary numbers (cell phone, social security, address). I couldn't tell you what my dad's phone number is or my friend Wes'. At one point I had memorized every single weapon's serial number in my armsroom, the pertinent technical manuals, the required forms, and any of the work-related numbers. Today, I can still remember most of those numbers but as far as new numbers go it takes me awhile.
So there's no danger in taking the sorter's test, so I might as well go for it right? I guess there's no real gripe here. I'm just feeling old because what used to take me seconds now takes me days/weeks/months to memorize. It's like I'm 29 or something! Christy, you'll forever be 22.

1 comment:

damned_cat said...

hopefully the zip codes will replace the other numbers as "work-related numbers" ... don't let it all overflow, you know what they say about respecting the capacity of your working memory. unfortunately for me, each year i have to alphabetize and number-assign each student (this year there are 27 kids as opposed to last year's 20) so i start thinking in terms of numbers, like hey you number 8, and two years ago number 8's name was donovin, nevermind that this year number 8 is a girl, argh, i'm sure zip codes are much, much worse ... maybe by the time i turn 23 i will have devised a more efficient method of tracking kids and their assignments.