Tuesday, August 07, 2007

by the numbers

My final report for my Criminal Justice class I have to select a TV show, movie, or book that relates to the field and how it relates to it/how accurate is it? I've had some weird ideas for my paper. At first I thought I'd be unique and maybe use a show like Night Court, Cop Rock, or Police Squad! just to stand out. Night Court had too many seasons to go over and both Cop Rock and Police Squad under less than 10 episodes each. Oh well, it was a good idea right?
So my next thought was maybe Numb3rs or maybe Bones, all I knew was that I wanted to stay away from the mainstream shows like CSI or Law & Order. Numb3rs utilizes mathematics to help solve crimes while Bones covers the forensics of a case. Both are very cool and I like them but what really grabbed my attention was a new TV show Spike called Murder. The basic premise of the show is that two groups of three people are thrown into a murder investigation from the crime scene to finding the suspect. The people are not law enforcement people, just run of the mill people that probably watch too much CSI and Law & Order. It's funny to see all of them trying their best, but they're not detached enough. They're emotional, letting their feelings and "intuition" lead them to bad conclusions. Yes, you should heed your intuition, but it shouldn't lead you to places, just point you in a direction. I mean these guys are coming to conclusions just by half-examining a crime scene and a mugshot. Not even processed data or a coroner's report, but jumping down each other's throats because of their feelings about the case.
Blah.




Put it down! Put up posters across local fast food places saying don't serve her. Um, tell delivery places to not take orders from the house. Compulsive eater my ass!

I do believe that the justice system should favor the victim in the punishment phase. Let this guy choke the crap out of his son's killer. Oh no! We can't have that! Killing the killer doesn't bring back his victims. Absolutely. I agree. But it does prevent any future victims from suffering the same fate. If he lives maybe he'll kill again, maybe he won't, I don't know. What I do know though is if he's dead, he won't kill again. Definitely. Guaranteed.

Hehehe. I thought my dad was kidding when he said that the cat (Max) gets all of the money if he dies. I guess more people think that's funny too.

No comments: