Friday, August 03, 2007

maybe so

So maybe UPS isn't the place for me. I'm not looking back on it though. It messes with my rhythm of life. Me, I've always been concerned about people. Not productivity. I understand there's a quota to be met and I did my best. We're supposed to unload 1200 packages an hour, work continuously for four or more hours with only a ten minute break given at random throughout the night. Little to no air circulation in the back of the trailers, what they do give you though is a nice big ol' light to heat you up even more though.
Maybe I'm getting old. Heck, I know I'm getting old. Still, I don't need that crap. At the beginning of the night and in the middle I was unloading approximately 1300 packages an hour but if you time me in the last thirty minutes or so? Yeah, I'm tired and yeah I'm going to go slow. It was my third day, I didn't fully expect to be working at full productivity but they did apparently.
Screw them. I've got supervisors tell me that it's a "dangerous" work environment. And I can't be afraid of bruises. Really? I've worked in a "dangerous" environment. Hell, I'll even go as far as to say it was a hostile environment. A place where people were trying to kill me. As far as bruises go, well I've been blown up twice so bruises really don't concern me. So what point are they trying to make about working at UPS?
I don't need the money that badly.

No comments: