Tuesday, July 01, 2008

you are all diseased

Never had I done so much in a weekend and gotten absolutely nothing accomplished.

It all starts Thursday, when I got word from my unit that I was definitely going to fly out to Utah in order to try and get into training. OK. Fine, I fly out Friday morning. How hard is it going to be for me to pack up everything I'll need for the next 6 weeks without a packing list? Not hard. Call around to friends to see if I can get a ride to the airport the next morning too. No luck, so I called a taxi.
Taxi ride from home to airport: $50.

Friday morning was like any other morning I guess, except for the fact that I had to get everything else ready. Pack up my computer, wash clothes, wash & put away dishes, finish cleaning apartment well enough so nothing grows in 6 weeks, and turn AC onto 76 so it's not stuffy when I get back. Check. Not bad for two hours.
I fly from Indy to Minnesota. Ya. Sure. You betcha. Got a nice 1.5hr layover. The St. Paul airport is nice, it's almost hard to tell if it's an airport or a mall. I mean, they have a Harley-Davidson store (not sure if I could purchase a motorcycle or not). Had a quick lunch at uh, I can't remember the name, something like The Maui Burrito. Whatever. I didn't realize that Maui had burritos. I had something called the Lahaina.
Airport lunch: $10.

I arrive at Salt Lake City a little after 5pm. The shuttle runs from 11am to 4pm. So I have to get a taxi.
Taxi ride from SLC to Army post: $68.50

I get to the Army post at around 6pm. I spend the next half hour trying to find the building I'm supposed to report to. Meanwhile, I'm hauling a duffel bag and one of those large wheelie bags along with my small carry-on. The building I'm supposed to report to has a sign that says I'm supposed to check in at another building, but that building's closed for the night. I knew I shouldn't have arrived so late on a Friday.
Finally, I locate an office that's open and contact the people I'm supposed to meet and check in with. When they show up, I'm informed that the class if full. That was to be expected. I was on the wait list. They did tell me though that they did take some people from the wait list, but did not have a lot of equipment in. That too was to be expected. They could take 3 more people, unfortunately, I was #4. That wasn't expected.
So now I'm stuck in Utah because I'm not scheduled to leave for another 6 weeks. Great. I have to find a place to stay until I can call the booking agency and get a flight back. There's only a slight chance of getting a flight that night and so I decide to postpone until the following morning. In the meantime, I'm allowed to stay in the barracks.
One night in the barracks: $6.00

Well, being the military, we're all one big family. I find two other guys in the class that are going into town to explore. I tag along. We end up hitting the bars. Had a good time. I have to say this from cruising around. Some of those Mormon girls are HOTT. Religion does a body good. Yum!
Anyway, we find a club and apparently we've ended up crashing some sort of pre-wedding festivities. Not like they rented the club, but they were there, we helped some of them get in for free (there's some sort of membership to enter any club in Salt Lake City) so we all hang out.
I end up talking with some girls, they were Kappa Kappa Gamma's. Being a fratnerity man I had to cozying up to them.
Clubbing out in Salt Lake City: Price unknown.

Ended up drinking until out midnight and had to head back to the base, sans girls. Woke up at approximately 5:30am because my roommate wanted to get up at that time. Call the military's travel agency and got a flight. Yes, it leaves in a few hours. Luckily, I haven't unpacked. Nor have I taken a shower or changed clothes. I may want to do that before I'm stuck out on another flight for several hours. Some other guys (not the ones I partied with) give me a ride to the airport so I don't have to spend money on the taxi.
For the return trip, there was some weather they the plane avoided, costing me almost a connecting flight. I make the connection with only 10minutes to spare. Not 10minutes from the boarding time, but 10minutes from push off. Luckily, Dallas/Ft. Worth airport has a rail system in place now because my flight got in on the northeast side of the concourse and my connecting flight was on the southwest side of another concourse on the complete opposite side of the airport. It would've taken me probably an hour to get there (with running through security again) and I wouldn't have made it.
Make it back to Indy at about 9pm. No one I've called can help me. I haven't called a few friends because they live just a little too far out of the way and I'm not willing to call them to pick me up from the airport. I finally get through to one of my friends that lives nearby and he agrees to pick me up. I'm home again.

So basically, I flew out to Salt Lake City to party one night with a bunch of girls and then flew back. It wasn't a bad way to spend a weekend, however, it was not productive because the reason to fly wasn't for that purpose.
Although I have to admit that it is like the military in the sense that I spent the entire weekend doing something and got nothing accomplished. I spent most of Sunday unpacking and doing homework from the last two weeks that I didn't think I had to do because I was going to drop the quarter in order to participate in the training.

No comments: